Poll: what car to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: what car to buy?

Maybe it's a "buy American" thing or maybe GM's new 60-day full refund policy, or maybe the coming models are catching on (quite a few high mileage items) but the numbers are interesting.

Link....

GM, Ford, Toyota Are Cars Americans Plan To Buy Next

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ask most Americans what car they definitely plan to buy next, and, perhaps surprisingly, General Motors edges Ford and Toyota. But Toyota is the one most folks are willing to at least consider. Rasmussen Reports asked Americans to pick among the eight most popular car manufacturers and perhaps the best-known of the luxury car makers, Mercedes-Benz.
    >
    Fifteen percent (15%) of adults say they will definitely buy a GM car next, and another 29% will consider such a purchase. Only 24% say there’s no way they’ll buy GM.

Ford is a definite buy for 13%, while 35% more say they’ll consider it. Just 19% rule out a Ford completely, though. Ford has consistently been viewed more favorably by Americans than GM and Chrysler because it is the only Big Three automaker who didn’t ask for and get a federal government bailout.

Eleven percent (11%) of adults say they will definitely buy a Toyota as their next car. Another 43% say they will consider buying from that manufacturer, with just 20% saying they will definitely not buy a Toyota.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Am very happy with my Honda Civic Hybrid.

Of the ones you mention, I bought Toyota for 20++ years in Switzerland. The last 3 were Camrys and they were exceptionally reliable, comfortable and great cars, easy to drive etc. and I was doing 40000 km/year in them. Zero breakdowns in 8 years of Camrys (hatchback and saloons). Toyota is too expensive here with a restricted range. The Prius is far too much, almost 50% more than the HCH.

I would not buy GM or Ford in Switzerland or this country, ONLY Japanese, because of reliability.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

the GM volt, naturally.. just wait for it :P
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

My next vehicle will most likely be a pickup truck. Need it for towing boats and whatnot.

Most likely a Chevy Silverado 1500, Ford F-150, or possibly a double cab Tacoma. I love the Toyota's, but I can get more "truck" for the money from GM/Ford. (motor, towing cap, etc.)
        One thing that I am unimpressed with - size of the seats in extended/supercab Tacoma's and Chevy Colorado's and such. Absolutely useless. And for the price of a double cab I could get a Silverado/F-150 supercab (which are probably close to being as big in the back as a double cab of a smaller pickup). I really don't need the power of a big V8 but it just doesn't make sense to go with a smaller pickup when they cannot transport people. Especially on roadtrips. My buddy's extended cab Taco can really only fit 3 people. And the third person is incredibly uncomfortable.

I'd love to see the VW pickup concept come to life. Especially if it used their 3.0L TDI (220hp and 400ftlbs). Unfortunately it would probably be quite expensive.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Not just Volt but several 'strong' hybrids and some others.

The2 010 1.4l turbocharged Cruze looks quite interesting.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I will never buy GM, Ford or Chrysler. I'm happy with BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehen View Post
              My next vehicle will most likely be a pickup truck. Need it for towing boats and whatnot.

Most likely a Chevy Silverado 1500, Ford F-150, or possibly a double cab Tacoma. I love the Toyota's, but I can get more "truck" for the money from GM/Ford. (motor, towing cap, etc.)
              Be very careful about the Tacoma. For the last few years its quality rating has been nosediving. Might want to check out the J D Powers and Consumer Reports reliability guides.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I will have to look into that.

Actually right now it makes the most sense to get an F-150. $7000 cheaper than normal.
                Only $31,500 CAD gets me a 4x4 V8 Super Cab. That is significantly less than a Tacoma.
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Just read in the paper - GMC Sierra Crew Cab for $27,500. Wow!

Comment

Kelly Blue Book/J D Powers.....
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yikes - it definitely isn't the Hilux that they attempted to destroy in Top Gear!

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                        I will never buy GM, Ford or Chrysler. I'm happy with BMW.
                        Down in my part of the world BMW along with all other European cars mean high maintenance costs.. Especially after they're over 3 years old
                        paulw

Comment

Had a Volvo that constantly kept blowing fan motors. Once I saw one I realized why: cheap as sh*t. I've seen higher quality motors in slot and r/c cars, albeit smaller but still.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I traded in my last European car in 1967. Japanese ever since for reliability.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                              I traded in my last European car in 1967. Japanese ever since for reliability.
                              You don't care much for handling, comfort and overall driving experience, ha?
                              I enjoy driving my Citroën ZX (1994) more than I did with the brand new Toyota corolla (2008) I had last year.
                              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                              X