33 years ago today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 years ago today....

On Sept. 17 1976 the space shuttle Enterprise OV-101 first rolled out of its assembly plant. She was originally to be named Constitution, but a Star Trek fan campaign convinced President Ford & NASA to make the change.

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Been that long. I guess that's why they are becoming technological dinosaurs. Hopefully something new and more reusable comes along soon . Would be nice if they could dispense with the launch rocket completely..
    paulw

Comment

Can't get rid of rockets entirely as you need them for the orbital or trans-lunar/planetary burn where there is no air for air breathers.

Might minimize their use with coaxial powerplants; a core turbofan for taking off, a surrounding ramjet for gaining speed and a LOX breathing "rocket mode" for orbital insertion. A few outfits are working on those.

Also might use this to power a reusable mothership (AirLaunch) who would carry the vehicle to high altitude/speed where it would fire its own insertion rockets. The mothership then returns to Earth for re-use. It could be manned or more likely a drone.

Not as outlandish as it seems as the SR-71 Blackbird used a turbojet whose bypass was used as a ramjet at high speed. Now you know why it was so fast

Boeings concept for 3-stage AirLaunch = 747 to drone to spacecraft

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 September 2009, 06:06.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Naming it Constitution would have been fine. The Starship Enterprise was a Constitution-class ship. That would have made the second orbiter Enterprise. And that would have been the one to pile it in over Texas.

So technically I guess that makes the space shuttle an Enterprise-class ship.

Would be nice if they could dispense with the launch rocket completely..
        The whole damned universe is waiting for us to invent Antigravity!

Kevin

Comment

Following Navy naming conventions that's correct, but it's not a Navy ship. Also; by the time of the 'change' the others had already been named.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Following Navy naming conventions that's correct, but it's not a Navy ship.
            Yeah, but it's still a nice tradition.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post

The whole damned universe is waiting for us to invent Antigravity!

Kevin
              The whole damned universe is afraid we will actually invent antigravity

Most us here on earth just want it for the cool aspects forgetting the complete ramifications
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
              X