Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ripping dvds: best format?

Hello,

I'd like to rip my dvds for playback on a PC. What is the best (i.e. most compatible) format for playback on a PC (and later streaming from a server to another pc or some stand-alone gear)? I would like the dvds intact (languages, subtitles, extras, ...).

I could just copy them to .iso, and mount them as a virtual dvd drive, or I could use some software (dvdfabdecrypter, dvdshrink, ...).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

ISO.
    No point in doing anything to them.

Its not too big, just get rid of all the ads.
    I have a lot of my dvd's as iso, with just english audio and video untouched.
    Some of them are less than 4Gb, which means the quality was crap.
    Some are even smaller, or less than 4Gb for the whole dvd, ads and all.
    those are really crap. DVD qualityis not always DVD quality.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

What software do you use to obtain your iso files (and remove the ads)?

And how do you play them back?

Jorg
      pixar

Comment

I'd guess dvddecrypter+dvdshrink for ripping and removing ads.

and deamontools to mount the iso and any capable mediaplayer with ffdshow
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I though t dvd decrypter yielded ifo and vob files.

Jorg
          pixar

Comment

try here:

Comment

HDDVD Decrypter - ISO. But I do not compress.

Comment

But how do you get .iso files?
                With hd dvd decrypter (dvdfab), I seems to me that you can only go to a video_ts folder...?
                I think that dvddecrypter can do it though...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

dvdshrink with anydvd.

Takes less than 10mins
                  PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                  Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                  +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

dvd shrink can make iso's
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                      But how do you get .iso files?
                      With hd dvd decrypter (dvdfab), I seems to me that you can only go to a video_ts folder...?
                      I think that dvddecrypter can do it though...

Jörg
                      Yeah. DVD Fab HD Decrypter. Next to "the "Target:" field hit the second button. It looks sort of like a document along with a CD.

Comment

Ah, thanks!

I had previously ripped some dvds to a video_ts folder, but now want to do it "better"...

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Hmm. The latest version (6.0.6.0) hangs/crashes after each rip completed.

Comment

Yes, I also noticed it (it doesn't always happen though).
                            But other than that, it goes fine. I can run 2 instances at the same time, just have to make sure the disks don't have the same volume name (or it throws an error message regarding the temp folder already existing).

Curse the man who invented double sided DVDs though (I have a box with 30 double sided, single layer DVDs.... why couldn't they have made it dual layer, and a more consistent volume naming... )

For playback, I have found that Media Browser in combination with Deamon Tools can be used to automatically mount iso files from within Windows Media Center (haven't tried it yet though). Although it seems working with video_ts folders rather than iso files is easier...

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Working...
                            X