Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Lander Challenge

Link....

A rocket powered vehicle successfully completed the first step toward qualifying to win a $1 million prize for NASA's Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge. Armadillo Aerospace's "Scorpius" lander set world records for vertical landings and takeoff flights by flying up 50 meters (164 feet) into the air, maneuvering over to land on a simulated rocky lunar surface 50 meters (164 feet) away, and then rising and flying back to land where it started. The flight included a requirement of at least 180 seconds of flying time. Watch the video from the second qualifying flight here. Armadillo is the first team of three teams looking to nab the prize this year.

"It's a great day here, it was a beautiful flight," said Peter Diamandis, CEO of the XPrize Foundation. "The vehicle from team Armadillo has made its second successful flight . Over the next few months if another team is able to make this level two flight as well, it will be the difference between the landing position and how far off the center of the pad that determines the winner."
    >
    Armadillo Aerospace's flight (likely winner of the $1 million prize. Armadillo is owned by John Carmack - creator of Doom & Quake)

The 'next level' is a prize for the first company to actually land on the moon. SpaceX will supply the launcher and the competition is on for building the lander. I'd be shocked if Armadillo weren't in the mix in a big way.

Watch Flight 2 of Armadillo Aerospace's successful attempt to qualify to win Level 2 of the Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge. See Super Mod aka Scorp...

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 September 2009, 21:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Go Carmack, go Carmack
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
    X