NOAA: US summer temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOAA: US summer temps

NOAA: Summer Temperature Below Average for U.S.

September 10, 2009

The average June-August 2009 summer temperature for the contiguous United States was below average – the 34th coolest on record, according to a preliminary analysis by NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. August was also below the long-term average. The analysis is based on records dating back to 1895.

U.S. Temperature Highlights – Summer

June-August 2009 statewide temperature ranks.

* For the 2009 summer, the average temperature of 71.7 degrees F was 0.4 degree F below the 20th Century average. The 2008 average summer temperature was 72.7 degrees F.

* A recurring upper level trough held the June-August temperatures down in the central states, where Michigan experienced its fifth, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota their seventh, Nebraska its eighth, and Iowa its ninth coolest summer. By contrast, Florida had its fourth warmest summer, while Washington and Texas experienced their eighth and ninth warmest, respectively.

* The Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota region experienced its sixth coolest summer on record. Only the Northwest averaged above normal temperatures.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 September 2009, 14:18.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

So what happened to "Global Warming"??
    paulw

Comment

The National Centers for Environmental Information's (NCEI) climate monitoring and assessment of temperature, precipitation, drought monitoring, snow climatology, climate map, climate index, climate extremes, global anomalies, sea surface temperature, drought, etc

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
        So what happened to "Global Warming"??
        It got confused with "local weather" by some people with an ax to grind.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
          It got confused with "local weather" by some people with an ax to grind.

We have had, along with most of S. Europe, an exceptionally hot summer, not specifically high peak temps, but high average, drier than normal, evidenced by devastating forest and brush fires from Portugal to Turkey (happily, we have been spared them this year: several started but they were brought under control very rapidly, thanks to a good alert system and rapid intervention).

Up until 4 days ago, the highs for the last 31 days have been about 4-5°C above the seasonal average and the lows 2-3°C higher than usual. Only now are we approaching average for the time of year.

The peak temp this year was 39.7 on 2 July (often exceeds 40°, but not this year), but I measured 37.8 on 4 September, an all-time record for the month.

Maybe you guys are sending us your joules as you are cooling off with your new President!

I haven't seen any global weather figures yet for this quarter, but I should imagine they are probably on track.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hasn't rained much ere this year either, very dry.

Not so much Hot, even tho we had a few days of sweltering heat.

Its not over yet tho, still have to have sept and oct that can also be warm...
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
            X