Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need some serious help... windows protection errors and IOS crap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some serious help... windows protection errors and IOS crap...

i am upgrading my dad's office computers with K6-III 400s and 128 megs of RAM (PC100) on Shuttle Spacewalker TX VIA-based motherboards (hey, he wanted a cheap upgrade, so he wouldn't go with ATX). whenever i boot (except for once or twice out of 200), i get this error:

Error when initializing device IOS:
    Windows Protection Error. Please restart your computer.

what the hell could cause this?! the only other hardware is a Bigfoot 2.5 GB hard drive, a 12X CD-ROM, a floppy, a Diamond Stealth 2500 PCI, and a Kingston network card (PCI). PLEASE help. i need an answer ASAP. please contact me on ICQ (8882792). thanks.

------------------
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    AMD K6-III 400 at 112x4.0 at 2.3V
    Asus P5A
    96 MB SD-RAM (the old 66 MHz... stable enough tho =)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Sonic Impact S90 PCI
    Linksys LNE100TX WOL PCI Ethernet adapter
    Processor is a peltier/Alpha cooling combo, avg. temp is around 85 F.

http://anthrax.home.texas.net
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
    Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
    128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300
    3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
    Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

It may be the memory. If you can get your hands on some PC100 SDRAM to test, do so. I know that in my VA503+(VIA MVP3 chipset) that's the only way I can run win98 (currently running win2k on crappy memory)
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I do not use Super 7 stuff much, but I know they usually use special drivers for the motherboard. Have you installed the drivers from the CD that came with the board?

Jammrock

------------------
      PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

MS knows this problem.

Here's the article.

Apparently it's the Quantum Bigfoot.

CAUSE

You may have a Quantum Bigfoot hard disk that requires a BIOS upgrade to work properly with Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 or 2.1.

RESOLUTION

Quantum Bigfoot hard disks that meet both the following criteria are confirmed by Quantum to exhibit the behavior described in this article:

Part number: P/N BFxx011-Rev03-D

A serial number ending in "S"

If you have one of these hard disks, you need to update the hard disk BIOS. You can obtain the update from your local dealer or from Quantum. To determine if your hard disk meets the criteria listed above, contact your dealer or Quantum.

MORE INFORMATION

Note that the error message does not occur if you boot to MS-DOS prior to starting Windows 95. You may also be able to boot to Safe mode after receiving the error message, shut down, and then restart Windows 95 normally without an error message. The error message occurs only in a cold boot situation.
        Good luck in getting that BIOS update.. or a new HDD, or Win 98....

---------------------
        Holly

Comment

I LOVE YOU! actually, uh... *ahem* aaaanyways...

thanks a ton! that worked and saved my ass. my dad paid me by buying me two 128 MB sticks of PC133 SD-RAM! thanks again. the computers are working perfectly. this was a temporary upgrade for his office, since he was stuck using P166s and a P180Pro as a server, and Dentrix (he's a periodontist, don't know how to spell it) was taking a shitload of time to load. thanks! i sincerely appreciate it. i have gained a new respect for Microsoft's site.
          anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
          3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL

the aXion gaming network

Comment

aw, shucks, 'tweren't nuttin'...

Glad to be of help. That's what we're here for, after all...

----------------------
            Holly (as Link!Zilla)

Comment

well, although that worked, my dad's employees are complaining that it still is going slow... so, i just ordered a couple Seagate 2.5 GB 3.5" hard drives. 5.25" Bigfoots just suck ass. 'nuff said. i was almost suckered into buying a 3 gig bigfoot 2 years ago, but instead i went with a WD 6.4 GB 3.5" hard drive... now the only problem is that i am out of space. that's what i get for buying a G400

thanks again for your help!
              anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
              3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL

the aXion gaming network

Comment

I would have thought it was the old problem with the cpu being 400MHz and needing AMDUpdate with win95 to avoid some MS bugs, go figure.

Comment

Working...
                X