K6-2 500 in Slotket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K6-2 500 in Slotket...

while browsing the CPU databases over at Overclockers.com, i found a rather interesting entry under K6-2 500. the top entry is 650 MHz, and a guy reached it using a Slotket. this is leading me to some strange ideas... it smells like bullsh*t, but i am going to try it. i placed an order for an Abit BP6, and i'm going to try it to see if it is compatible. in that same order there is a Slotket and a Celery 366 for a friend. i'm going to try my K6-2 300 and my K6-III 400 in both of them (on the BP6, only one of them) to see if it is crap. if someone out there has a Socket7 proc (AMD preferably) and a Slotket or a Celery mobo, could you try it for me? i can't wait the 4 days for my stuff. it just is strange... 321 pin processor in a 370 pin socket. please let me know how it worked for you if you tried it. no, i'm not stupid, so don't reply if you're just going to be talking crap about me. i do have quite a bit of experience with computers, i just don't know much about the PPGA 370 socket.
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
    Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
    128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300
    3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
    Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

It has to be bullsh*t. The underlying bus architecture between super7 and the P6 bus used by PPro, PII, PIII, and celery is completely different. There was some agreement way back when where AMD agreed with Intel that they would not make a processor that ran on the P6 bus. AMD could have reverse engineered the P6 bus to make a processor compatible with it, but they did not. They stuck with the Pentium bus for the K6 line, and they went with the EV6 bus for the Athlon.

There is no way that you will ever get a K6 to run on a 440BX mobo. No slocket can suddenly make things compatible between these two worlds.

Comment

anthrax, be carefull or you may burn your cpu. But then again I doubt that you could even fit a socket7 cpu in a socket 370 without breaking and bending a few pines

Comment

well, i am left with this thought... AMD didn't build the K6-x around the P6 bus, so they stuck with Socket7, while the P6 bus at the time was a slot. but, now that there are PPGA versions of the P6 bus, i am left thinking that the K6 series is compatible with Socket9, kindof like Socket5 CPUs (i.e. Pentium P54c) work in Socket7 (i ran my old P100 in my Asus P5A stably). they DO have a different number of pins (the Socket7 added another row or two of pins to the inside), and i'm wondering if the Celeron just has another row or two inside. i'm going to try it, but tell me if it works for you first. it's bothering me!!!
        -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
        anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
        Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
        Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
        128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
        Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
        Diamond Monster Sound MX300
        3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
        Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

Comment

i'm going to try it, but tell me if it works for you first
          Or

I´m willing to try a perfect nonsense, that will not work and possibly damage some components. I don´t care what all of you say. But I would apreciate that you all try it first, just to be sure.

LOL

Comment

maybe that guy made his own slocket

Comment

The package type has nothing to do with the bus protocol that it talks. There is absolutely no way that a slocket can make a K6 speak the P6 bus protocol.

I am reminded of the I740 graphics chip. It was an AGP only design. However, Real3D did come out with a PCI board based on the I740. How did they do it? They added a PCI to AGP bridge chip to the card. That way it truly was an AGP card, but it's memory for AGP dime was on the video card instead of system memory, and it actually fit into a PCI slot. That's got to be one of the most screwed up things that I've seen.

Don't try this, aNtHrAx323. It ain't gonna work. That is, unless your slocket has a SS7 to P6 bus protocol translator. That really is not very plausible because of the L2 cache issue.

Comment

maybe that guy made his own slocket with a built in SS7 to P6 bus protocol translator

Comment

Working...
                X