Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd windows problem

Hello,

I recently installed dbpoweramp to convert audio files. Like I do with a lot of software, I installed it in a virtual layer (Altiris). The software works perfectly, but there is one strange thing: I cannot open jpg files anymore.
    Every program I use to open a jpg file reports that the file is corrupt (tried various jpg files on various drives). Deactivating the layer with the dbpoweramp software solves the issue: all jpg files open perfectly.

Anybody has seen such a behaviour?
    dbpoweramp does nothing wih jpg files, so how can it impact all programs that want to access jpg files? I'm assuming some weird Windows problem (Server 2008, 32 bit) but honestly have no clue where to start searching.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

WHat is the file association pointing to?

Did you previously have a program that handled both JPGs and mp3s?

Comment

jpg files still have the default association (they open with the Windows previewer). Double clicking them also doesn't work.

I have no programs installed that associated themselves with both jpg and mp3. Apple iTunes (and Quicktime) is installed on the system (not virtually). I also have MediaMonkey in a seperate virtual layer.

This behaviour really puzzles me...
      Easiest would be to blame dbpoweramp, but I can't see how it would affect other programs opening the jpgs .

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

try a system restore to the point before installing dbpoweramp.

Perhaps something got corrupted.

Comment

I think I disabled system restore... will have to reinstall it all...
          pixar

Comment

System restore saved me a few times in the past. I would keep it running, not like it takes up huge resources.

Comment

I've always had problems with System Restore and similar software. It either backed up viruses or trashed the anti-virus program.

Comment

To avoid HJ's problems, I tend to make a backup of my system partitions using a Linux live CD and the tool partimage to copy a partition to a bz2 file (highly recommended!).
                The reasons not to restore are twofold: 1. I can't be sure the problem doesn't exist in my images, and 2. I'm running Server 2008 in trial mode, restoring would leave me with 60 days less in trial period than a new installation. (I'm also not sure it is still possible to "rearm" once the 60 days trial period have expired).

Besides, installing goes quite fast on that machine: I don't have that many applications installed, and most of them are installed using software virtualization (allowing for a quick import).
                pixar

Comment

Acronis works for me for the various computers I have and support in the family. At least I do not have to waste time reinstalling windows, most updates, and drivers. If only it would work with my 1TB drive from the generated boot media.

Comment

Working...
                  X