Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 10

now available for download

Improvements over opera 9.x are numerous, but so is the amount of new issues. A very small selection of the new features:
    - build-in in-line spell-checker (no longer need to install this as add-in)
    - tab-thumbnail view (I haven't figured out the use of this feature yet; fortunately it can be disabled)
    - new skin (who cares about that? the menu button is nice though)
    - turbo (proxy server which compresses images on the fly, as used in opera mini/mobile; of no use to broadband connections?)
    - faster loading of webpages (but it still has a much slower javascript interpreter than competing products like Safari and Chrome)

And soon to arrive (in opera 10.10): Unite
    an interesting approach to web/cloud-computing combined with P2P, where your own data resides on your computer rather than on some server. I'd be interested if they'd supply a low-weight server binary for ARM linux devices

I have to admire the innovation of the Opera developers, but it'd be nice if they for once stopped working on new features and focus on fixing all those damn bugs that have been there for ages, in some cases for many years now!

Oh, and then after the bugfixing maybe implement some basic things like drag&drop support for images, privacy mode (aka pr0n mode), faster javascript a la chrome (ah they seem to be working on that one), in-frame display of all errors and download dialogs
    Last edited by dZeus; 1 September 2009, 10:35.

I've been using Opera since V5. I have run all the betas of 9 and 10. I like V10. It's my primary browser but there are still some sites that don't work as they should. All thru Beta 10 one of the SMS providers that I use Clickatel, I can't send after I compose a message. Was fine in V9 and OK with Firefox and Chrome. Don't know about IE as I don't use it..
    paulw

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      now available for download

Improvements over opera 9.x are numerous, but so is the amount of new issues. A very small selection of the new features:
      - build-in in-line spell-checker (no longer need to install this as add-in)
      - tab-thumbnail view (I haven't figured out the use of this feature yet; fortunately it can be disabled)
      - new skin (who cares about that? the menu button is nice though)
      - turbo (proxy server which compresses images on the fly, as used in opera mini/mobile; of no use to broadband connections?)
      - faster loading of webpages (but it still has a much slower javascript interpreter than competing products like Safari and Chrome)

And soon to arrive (in opera 10.10): Unite
      an interesting approach to web/cloud-computing combined with P2P, where your own data resides on your computer rather than on some server. I'd be interested if they'd supply a low-weight server binary for ARM linux devices

I have to admire the innovation of the Opera developers, but it'd be nice if they for once stopped working on new features and focus on fixing all those damn bugs that have been there for ages, in some cases for many years now!

Oh, and then after the bugfixing maybe implement some basic things like drag&drop support for images, privacy mode (aka pr0n mode), faster javascript a la chrome (ah they seem to be working on that one), in-frame display of all errors and download dialogs
      seems they (Opera) get the idea. Finally JIT javascript, and privacy mode. The upcoming hardware accelerated rendering (opengl/direct3d) is nice as well.

What's left now... integrate all those popup screens (e.g. file save dialogs) into tabs! They stop the whole browsing experience until you deal with them. Which isn't necessarily correlated to when they appear.
      And drag&drop support (shouldn't this be essential behaviour for every windows application?)

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
        seems they (Opera) get the idea. Finally JIT javascript, and privacy mode. The upcoming hardware accelerated rendering (opengl/direct3d) is nice as well.

What's left now... integrate all those popup screens (e.g. file save dialogs) into tabs! They stop the whole browsing experience until you deal with them. Which isn't necessarily correlated to when they appear.
        And drag&drop support (shouldn't this be essential behaviour for every windows application?)
        As of today Opera 10.50 is final.

In addition to the earlier stuff mentioned here, it also now has integral file download dialogs that won't interfere with browsing in other tabs. However, the release has been rushed (as usual at Opera), probably because of the Microsoft EU browser ballot screen.

While very stable, there are numerous quirks left (most have been reported to Opera by users since the early alphas). Opera 10.51 most likely will fix these known issues, if you haven't decided to not give Opera another go as it's too buggy that is!

Comment

Working...
        X