Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest P3 Coppermine on a Asus P2B

Hey guys,
    I've got a P2B-S that I would like to keep around for a while longer. What is the fastest processor that this mobo will support? I'm sure that it will take a least a P3-600E. But I know that it has up to at least a 7.0 multiplier, so does that mean you can slap in a P3-700E and it will work?
    Anyone try to O/C one of these coppermines? Currently I have a Celery 300@450. Anyone know what type of performance improvement I would get with upgrading to a coppermine. Thanks for all your help.

Legacy

It's funny. Asus doesn't list your board on their Coppermine support chart:

http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Tech...ine/index.html

The good news is the latest revision of the BIOS of your board has some modified code for "Cu-mine" (their word) support. They don't give any revision information, but I would think the later revisions of your board should be able to handle the new Slot 1 Coppermines.

I'm guessing, however. Maybe you should email them with your board's revision number and ask them. Either that or buy your new PIII from a vendor with a liberal return policy.

On board SCSI is not cheap. I can understand why you're not ready to upgrade motherboards. This is the problem with on board anything. When the motherboard goes, the device has to go as well.

I suspect you will see an fairly sizable performance jump. They do seem very overclockable as well. We have someone on the forums who is overclocking his PIII 700 to 868 MHz. People have had great success overclocking the 500 and 550 MHz Coppermines, and because of the high multiplier, the 600 Mhz Coppermine looks even more promising.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 28 January 2000).]

Comment

I have a P2B rev 1.10 and was thinking of trying a P3-550E + flipchip slotket combo with some PC133. If they can get the old BH6's to work, imagine what 150 FSB would do! If one gets a sweet chip Let's see... that's 825 mhz, not bad. But I wouldn't use my G400Max on it, maybe the Fury

------------------
      "Hi, my name is Gary and I'm an OC addict"

"If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

Comment

paulcs,
        I am taking from Asus's site that since they are not showing the P2B-L or P2B-S that is may be supported. But they do list the P2B-LS as not supported. Oh what a quandry I am in now. I think I will have to take your advice and e-mail Asus unless someone on MURC has tried.

What does PCB stand for? Asus's web site says that there is a "PCB Issue" in reference to the P2B-LS and P2B-DS.

Legacy

Comment

PCB is printed circuit board as far as I know. The problem with the earlier rev. of the P2B boards is that they can't supply the correct power level, 1.6 or 1.65v for the coppermine chips. If someone designs a slocket that properly regulate the power, as opposed to simply telling the mobo what to supply the way the current ones do, they'd make a killing. Alot of people out there with boards they really like, but have to toss to get a coppermine.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 28 January 2000).]
          Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

I checked the notes for the P2B-LS BIOS upgrade and they didn't mention anything about Coppermine support. The BIOS upgrade for the P2B-S does:

http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Moth...ot1.html#p2b-s

Number 2 on the list of updates states, "Revised microcode update support for Cu-Mine processors." If you look at the notes for the P2B-LS, you won't see that line or anything like it. This indicates to me that there are revisions of the P2B-S that support Coppermines.

I sure hope yours is one of them.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Well Paul, I don't know how you look at some site, but here on http://www.asuscom.de/Products/Mothe...ios_slot1.html it says for both the P2B-LS and the P2B-S, BIOS 1011:

1.Support IDE hard disk larger than 32G bytes.
              2.Revised microcode update support for Cu-Mine processors.
              3.Fix for Microsoft Pre-OS test failure
              4.Microcode update upgrade for PII 653, 672, and 673.653: 00A->010; 672: 00B->00C; 673: 007->00A.
              5.Fix for boot failure with some boot managers installed.
              6.Fix for Russian Y2K test program failed.

Only the P2B-D series (Dual Processors) doesn't seem to have the same BIOS.

My guess is: They have a general P2B BIOS for all single CPU P2B boards.

Forgot to say something. It depends on the revision of your mobo if you actually can put a CuMine on it or not. I know my rev. 1.06 can't take a CuMine.

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 28 January 2000).]
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

This has been a question of mine for a while now, as I don't want to upgrade my board either. But I just have a regular P2B, no scuzzi or nuthin. But it does have an 8x multi and a 133 fsb by jumpers. But as far as I know, it only runs 2.0v and the cumine's need 1.6(5)v. Hope someone gets a definitive answer tho...

------------------
                AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.41 w/Turbo MCD and beta ICD

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Hi, don't worry.

I've a P2B. But not all P2B will be Coppermine compatible, only rev board 1.12 and higher. Ask ASUS witch is the right rev for your board.

Don't worry about voltage. BX boards have a voltage regulator (it's magic). Old PCB have the rev 8.2 regulator. To use Coppermine the board must have a regulator rev 8.4 (thanks Intel !).

Even with old bx boards (like mine) you will able to use Coppermine. How ? There will be ppga to slot 1 converter that have a the right regulator. You can find at ABIT the SLOTEK. (It's new it's for you )

@++

Comment

Jorden, I was looking at Asus's Taiwan site. The board's they stated would not support Coppermines did not have the "Cu-mine" line, so someone has screwed up somewhere.

I still think contacting Asus directly might be the best tactic.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

if your board cant supply 1.6V just stick a peltier on it and dont worry about it

Comment

Okay guys, here's the deal (according to ASUS Germany!):

In order to run PIII Cuppermine (0,18 - 1,65 Volt) on a P2B-S board, you'll have to have revision 1.04. (yes, the DOT at the end has to be there too!!!). I have an old revison 1.02 board myself, but plan to get a Cuppermine 650 MHz + and run it on the board. I dunno yet, if I'm just gonna run it at 1.8 Volt core with a better fan or simply wait until ASUS bring out their FP-PGA to Slot1 converter for Cuppermines. iWill already has a Slocket out!

The problem is not a PCB-issue, but the voltage regulator they use on the board(s). According to an ASUS-tech on the ASUS-newsboard, the older boards cannot go lower in voltage than the 1.8 Volt, due to this older type voltageregulator.

Regarding your Q about the multiplier, then you can disregard this, as the PIII are multiplier-locked, so you just plug it in and run at 100 MHz bus-freq (or 103 or 112) and the CPU will automatically run at 6x, 6.5x, 7x, 8x or whatever!

------------------
                        ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Vikingman, at what clock should you jumper the BUS Frequency multiplier then?? Not jumper at all?? Wouldn't that break down the CPU then?

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Jorden! (How's Holland!?)

No, you cannot break a multiplier-locked CPU. Intel introduced it to prevent overclocking (internal). So if you take a PIII 600MHz (6x100) and set your motherboard multiplier to 8x, then the CPU will automatically set itself to 6x. So no harm done. So I should think it doesn't matter what you set the jumper to and I would also think that you can remove the jumper completely - have to try it tho'.

Byt no worries, you WON'T loose a CPU!

VIKINGMAN

------------------
                            ASUS P2B-S, PII-350 (o/c to 412MHz), 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Working...
                            X