AP: Michael Jackson's death ruled a homicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP: Michael Jackson's death ruled a homicide

Well....this is a horse of a different color. Looks like his doctor, and perhaps some pharmacists, are in for a rough time.

Link....

AP Source: Coroner rules Jackson's death homicide

By THOMAS WATKINS
    The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles County coroner has ruled Michael Jackson's death a homicide, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press, a finding that makes it more likely criminal charges will be filed against the doctor who was with the pop star when he died.

The coroner determined a fatal combination of drugs was given to Jackson hours before he died June 25 in his rented Los Angeles mansion, according to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the findings have not been publicly released. Forensic tests found the powerful anesthetic propofol acted together with at least two sedatives to cause Jackson's death, the official said.

Dr. Conrad Murray, a Las Vegas cardiologist who became Jackson's personal physician weeks before his death, is the target of a manslaughter investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department. According to a search warrant affidavit unsealed Monday in Houston, Murray told investigators he administered a 25 mg dose of propofol around 10:40 a.m. after spending the night injecting Jackson with two sedatives in an unsuccessful attempt to get him to sleep.
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 August 2009, 14:55.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Now was it homicide or assisted suicide? Or in the legal system is it the same thing?
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

It could only be assisted suicide if there was a note or something from MJ.
      Seeing as he was presumed happy, and looking forward to getting back on stage, it is unlikely.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The most I see anyone getting is second degree manslaughter. Though Jackson's doctor will likely lose his license no matter what the outcome is.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

His doctor didn't have a license to practice or administer drugs in that state. In addition he acted recklessly in that he administered a surgical anesthetic without proper monitoring, respiratory and resuscitation equipment - using that stuff outside an OR is like driving a car into a crowd.

In Michigan he could get murder 2. Hell, there are people here that have been sent away for life after causing a death while drunk or high driving. Drop Maxwell's Silver Hammer, they do. It's the pharmacists that let the good Dr. buy those drugs who could get manslaughter.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 August 2009, 23:39.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

As I see it, the usual dosage to induce light anaesthesia is 2-2.5 mg/kg. I believe Jackson was about 50 kg, so a 25 mg dose would be considered as very light and well within dosage norms. Reaction with other drugs, especially opiates, may be severe. If the patient had a morphine or similar injection in the previous hours, then it is possible that prolonged apnea may have induced cardiac arrest, but that is speculative.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian; in any state in the US administering propofol outside of an OR or ER is considered bloody dangerous - and in some it's illegal. In this case it's illegal anyhow because the physician didn't have a drug ticket in that state.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 August 2009, 23:55.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X