X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Kodachrome

Link....

Kodak retires Kodachrome

The company will discontinue the color film after 74 years.

"They give us those nice bright colors. They give us the greens of summers. Makes you think all the world's a sunny day," Paul Simon sang in the 1973 song "Kodachrome."

It looks like Simon will have to come up with a new song now that Eastman Kodak (EK) is retiring its Kodachrome color film after a 74-year run.

Kodachrome sales have plunged since the introduction of both new films and digital technology, and the product now makes up less than 1% of Kodak's still-picture-film sales, the company said. About 70% of Kodak's revenue now comes from its commercial and consumer digital businesses.

"It was certainly a difficult decision to retire it, given its rich history," Mary Jane Hellyar, president of Kodak’s Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group, said in a statement. "However, the majority of today's photographers have voiced their preference to capture images with newer technology -- both film and digital."

Hellyar said current supplies of Kodachrome will likely last until early fall. Dwayne's Photo, in Parsons, Kan., is the only photofinishing lab that still processes the complex Kodachrome film, Kodak said, and it will continue to do so through 2010.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Although I haven't done any chemical photography for 2 or 3 lustra (word of the day), I regret this. For many, many years I used Kodachrome Professional A 40 ASA with a conversion filter, which brought it to 25 ASA as a daylight film. The results were superb. Virtually grain free annd the orangish conversion filter cut the UV better than a UV filter with daylight film, giving less of a bluish cast in landscapes.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I used exactly that method for almost many, many years and yes, it worked fantastic.

For most shoots these days I'm using digital but still use film for a few things. Transitioned out of Kodachrome because I saw this day coming, but that doesn't take away the fond feelings for a great product.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X