Coppermine Overclocking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coppermine Overclocking Thread

I thought it is about time to start an overclocking Thread for Coppermines.

I'm currently running a P3-700E on a BE6 with 256MB of Micron -8E PC100. I can get it to run very stable at 124x1/3 at 868MHz at 1.8 volts.

My problems is I can't get it to boot into Windows at 133MHz FSB. It will stall at the Windows splash screen. I have moved the Alpha's 60mm fans off the motherboard power and connected them directly to the power supply to eliminate excess noise on the motherboard. This eliminated the registry errors I was getting.
    The main problem I'm having now appears to be with the onboard HighPoint controllers for my hard drives. I have tried various settings and have to set both hard drives to PIO3 to get them to function.

Anyone have any suggestions????

Paul

------------------
    P3-700E @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub,
    IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,
    SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,
    WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Get a Be6-2 so you can set a 1/4 pci bus in 1 mhz steps and sell yours to someone with less ambition..Im running a bf6 now after trading up from a be6 and The best it would do was 124 x 1/4..Now I can run at 137 x 1/4 no sweat I just need a CPU ...Have you tried 133 x 1/4 I think your board will do that ???
    Good luck Matt

------------------
    Abit BF6, P3 450 AT 620, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

Also try mode 3 on your Hds in the Hpt bios..
      Matt
      Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

I already tried 133x1/4 and no go. At 124x1/3 I can keep my hard drives set at UDMA 4. At 133MHz they must be set at PIO 3 or 4 or the system can't find them (get the "insert system disk" error).

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

You may have reached the limit on that cpu..Tell you what ..send it to me an I'll check it on my setup..No charge...
          Matt

------------------
          Abit BF6, P3 450 AT 620, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

[This message has been edited by Plmr (edited 23 January 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Matt......LOL

Paul

Comment

you probably just need better cooling on that cpu, or it could be your ram/video card.

Comment

I have been following the Coppermine O/C around the web and it seems that the 700e won't do 133...
                Keep trying! I can see why 868 is bumming you out! Please get help ! heheh

------------------
                PIII-450@600, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

Comment

LOL....Thanks LAMF, I feel a hell of a lot better now. It's just so close to working there.

Paul

Comment

The BE/6 is capable of handling the 133/FSB... I'm not certain of the Highpoint controllers... I use SCSI... From what I've read, the 700E has made it to 900Mhz at least... The coppermine .18 has had some tremendous amounts of OC'ing done to it (albeit in the 550 and 600 mhz units) some have hit FSB's as high as 180 and run stable...

I will let you know if my 700e hits 133 or higher. The new SCSI controller is designed for the new faster/wider 64Bit PCI bus, so I'm thinking it may take to OC'ing the PCI bus to 37.5 a little better. That would make for 150Mhz FSB, 100Mhz AGP and 1050 for a total CPU speed... Ambitious - You bet - will it succeed - I don't know - but that's where the fun is - in trying....

Guyver
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950
                    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Paul,

Have you slowed down your memory timing? ie CAS/RAS 3/3 or 4/3 to see if that helps..

My troubles with 133 stemmed from the fact that my memory was only stable to 129Mhz. Not even that in the BE6. I had to buy the PC133HSDRAM (4.6ns) to get to that plateau...

Guyv
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

My PC100 is Micron -8E and is rated at 125MHz. It runs at 124Mhz at CAS 2 nicely. I do set it to CAS 3 for my 133MHz attempts. It well may be as LAMF stated,that the processor won't handle much more.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

Have you tried booting w/o the L2 cache at the 133fsb? If you can run Windows "stable" at this point, then it is most likely your processor that is holding you back. And if it's not stable, the search for the weak link continues...

Oh, if you haven't read this story yet, check out <a href="http://www.overclockers.com/tips54/">http://www.overclockers.com/tips54/</a>. He was able to run a 650e at 975, albeit with a peltier.

John

Comment

PIII 750 @ 1286MHz....liquid nitrogen cooled.
                            http://www16.big.or.jp/~bunnywk/superpi.html

------------------
                            You have been Donimated
                            You have been Donimated

Comment

Hello Guyver,

If the Adaptec Ultra3/160 Wide card is designed for 64-bit PCI how will it fit the BE6? 64-bit (66MHz) PCI slots are a different (not backward compatible) design.

Comment

Working...
                              X