Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 resolution problem

Hello,

I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop (a Fujitsu-Siemens P1510 convertible tablet), and have an annoying problem.

The display has a resolution of 1024x600, but supports higher resolutions (up to 1600x1200, in which case the display shows a viewable area which scrolls). I can set the correct resolution in Windows 7, but for some odd reason it changes resolution to 1024x768 upon launch of some programs (at other points in time, it states that if the resolution is below 1024x768, not all items may fit on the display, which is probably why it ups it). The videocard is an Intel 915 chipset, I just installed Windows 7 RC and performed a windows update (which finds all the correct drivers).

Is there a way to prevent this?
    (it messes up the touchscreen... :-))

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 11 August 2009, 05:19.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

As far as I have found, the problem is caused by the fact that the Intel driver allows for higher resolutions (with the scroll feature). My problem is that it changes resolutions automatically, and I can't find a way to turn it off...

Using the standard VGA controller works, but then I lose dual monitor functionality, rotation (needed for the tablet) and hardware acceleration.
    pixar

Comment

Sounds like a driver issue, personally. You should grab the Vista drivers, if the Win7 drivers are not out yet, and update your video card and tablet screen drivers.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The Windows Update finds all the latest drivers (amazingly), even though there are no official Windows 7 drivers.

The behaviour is quite odd:
        1. display is in 1024x600
        2. launch Firefox
        3. Firexfox launches and shows its window (which fits on the screen)
        4. resolution changes to 1024x768 (which scrolls on this display)
        5. I change the resolution back to 1024x600
        6. close Firefox (kill all processes too)
        7. launch Firefox
        8. resolutions doesn't change
        I'm now unsure what it does after a shutdown though.
        Another strange thing is that it doesn't switch for all applications, just some of them.

It indeed looks like a driver issue, but it is actually the same version as the XP and the Vista driver. If I could just tell the driver that it should not use this scrolling feature, it would be solved. I've tried forcing that by setting the flag to keep aspect ratio, but it ignores it.

I wonder if it might have to do with the fact that the resolution is below what Windows 7 considers to be the minimum (it notifies this about 1024x600 in the screen where you can see the resolution.

I hope to get it solved, as the tablet aspects in Windows 7 have improved A LOT over those in XP Tablet edition.
        pixar

Comment

That is very likely. Try opening Screen Resolution, then the Advanced Settings link. Go to Monitors and uncheck "Hide modes this monitor cannot display". See if that helps.

If your tablet has an ATi or nvidia video card (unlikely given it's a tablet) you can look in the control panel/ccc app and see if there are settings to help you.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The videocard is an Intel 915. I tried unchecking that box, but it yields no difference. I assume this is because the video mode as far as the monitor is concerned is still the same (the fact that it scrolls is caused by the driver).
            pixar

Comment

The 915s had horrid problems in Vista, and this will likely continue in Win7. Win7 may be wanting to couple your screen resolution to your digitizer resolution... this way your stylus can stay calibrated at any resolution.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Problem is that it moves away from this resolution. The display is 1024x600 (which is accompanied by an exclamation mark stating that not everything may fit on the screen).

For some progams (even windowed, in a small window), it changes to 1024x768, which indeed messes up the digitizer. This resolution however scrolls on the display, but I am unsure as to whether this is a driver feature or a display feature (I do see it listed as supported mode).
                If it is a monitor feature, I'd think it ought to be possible to use a custom .inf file which removes these resolutions. If it is a driver feature, it may be more difficult to disable it...

I do have the impression it only occurs once per session and per program...
                Last edited by VJ; 17 August 2009, 04:20.
                pixar

Comment

Well, it doesn't seem to occur at all anymore... but
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X