Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Athlon system - Greebe, others?

Hi folks,
    I've just sold my computer to a family member, and I'm looking to assemble a nice K7 system, somewhat in a hurry.
    I'd love it if I could get some recommendations and links for:
    ATX case, with a decent power supply
    128MB stick of PC133 RAM, that will work with..
    An MSI motherboard..
    And a good cooling fan for....
    A nice, overclockable Athlon.

I'm a college kid on a college budget, but I don't mind paying extra for better quality, or a better warranty.

Thanks a lot,
    Wombat

------------------
    K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.1 w/ 2.2.12-20, Win98, and too many classes

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

One other thing...
    Are the retail Athlons better than their OEM counterparts? I know it's generally true for Intel, but what about AMD?

Thanks again.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'll address it in an email.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I defer to Greebe's judgement on all things Athlon (and pretty much all things hardware), but, just in case Greebe doesn't, let me recommend a case:
        http://www.a-pro.com/ATX802.htm

It's not the prettiest case in the world, but it isn't ugly. More importantly, its extremely feature-rich and very easy to work with. Spaces for two case fans, a slide out motherboard tray, a removable side panel. It's sometimes tough to get all three of these features in a single case, and they really make your life easier.

You get the option of ordering it with a 300 or 350 Watt Fortran Source Power supply. They're extremely quiet, and both are on AMD's recommended power supply list.

I'm currently in bed with Satan: Intel all over the place. But there is a lot to like about this case.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

let me recomend a retailer. www.atacom.com

good prices (they don't list on pricce watch) good service. i called talked to some one under 5 min and when i told them i had a broken cd in the box they shiped me a replacement (overnight.) they don't charge more thant they have to for shipping. everything unless notied other wise has a 1 year warninty.

ive ordered two difrent systems from them never had a problem with them.
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Wombat,
            Glad to see you are finally moving up. Make sure you get an .18 micron K7. According to Ace's this is how:

"Yes, that is correct: almost all newer Athlons (500-800 MHz) are produced on the new .18 µ process (more info here). AMD representatives told us that there are still (small?) stocks of .25 µ CPU's, but that all .25 µ lines have been converted to .18 µ lines.

I don't have to tell you that almost every 550-650 MHz .18 µ CPU is an overclocking wonder. We have yet to test it ourselves, but one good friend of Ace's told me that it is possible to get .18 550-600 MHz Athlons to 800 MHz and more!!

How do you recognize such an overclocking wonder? Look at the top of the black casing of your Athlon: You should see gray numbers printed on top of it, something like 'AMDK7650MTRS1B'. Then look a bit further on the right side (with the heatsink pointing away from you): if you see a 'C', it is an older .25 micron CPU. If you see an 'A', you may hope for some serious overclocking potential: that means that it is a .18 micron CPU. Of course, it is still not easy to change the multiplier: it requires some serious soldering or attaching a electronic device to the golden fingers."

RAB

AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Thanks for the tip. However, I'm ordering online. Do you know of any places that will tell you which version they have?

Comment

So far only the 750 is 180nm. Week 42's OC to 800-850 and if they have 3.1 ns L2's then most likely they'll OC to 800 1:2 or 850 1:3.

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 23 December 1999).]
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I always reccomend this site for AMD cpu's.
                  The insight they have is uncanny(announcing chips that AMD denies they have any plans for,and then reversing themselves,etc.)
                  Their prices are a little higher,but they are an AMD authorized reseller and sell only AMD 1 yr.warrenty cpu's or 3 yr boxed units.
                  Their shipping is affordable and also use priority mail as an optional shipping method back up what they sell and are very reliable.
                  Check them out! http://www.lynncomp.com/

For motherboards check out this place,once again,very reliable reasonable shipping,low prices,large selection http://www.axiontech.com/

Comment

I've put together two Athlon system's. In my honest opinion, stay away from the Asus K7m and go with a Gigabyte Ga-71 Mainboard. Plus the gigabyte board is recommended by AMD, uses an AMD north and south bridge, and has an Award bios.
                    K7m uses a AMD north bridge, a Via south bridge, and an American Megatrends cmos.
                    The K7M just seemed a little buggy. No way to assign IRQ's, System hangs, Driver problems with sound cards. The Gigabyte installed in a snap.

Thats my opinion, everyone has one though

Comment

But you can't assign IRQ's with the Gigabyte either, sorry to mislead. But I think its a better board.

Comment

i have built several Athlon systems using msi 6167 mb.very stable and reliable.
                        oh-i sell new mb's and cpu's cheaper.

------------------
                        IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!
                        IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!

Comment

Wombat,

I'm a price shopper too, but if I were putting together an Athlon system today, I'd hook up with Mike (Greebe) and get one of his pretested modified processors. He's put a lot of time and effort into overclocking Athlons, so you will get the most bang for your buck from him. Count on it.

------------------
                          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

I'm a college kid on a college budget, but I don't mind paying extra for better quality, or a better warranty.
                            Hope this isn't too late...I've been busy ranting about audio on RAB's thread.

Same advice.

Until you know exactly where you are headed, do business with a human being who will be there for you when you have a problem.

Listen to KvH

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 30 December 1999).]
                            Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                            CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                            Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

I prefer boards from gigabyte. I just installed 3 K7 systems in 2 days.
                              The first one is K7M, with savage4 pro, no problem.
                              The second and third one are build for my friend, which suffers by K7M for a month.
                              His first K7 with K7M, damaged just at the day he bought it. He send it to the retailer, and got a new one. This time no mouse. All PS/2 mouse just didn't work.
                              So he call me for help.
                              I took a look at his K7M, and surprisingly found that there's a jumper MISSING that control the PS/2 port IRQ. That's why the mouse didn't work. And the CPU fan connector has no output. However, I sold a line on the place where the jumper should be, and change a fan connector, make the system work finally.
                              He found his confidence on K7 again, but lost on K7M, so we build another system with GA-71X, install without a glitch. Oh, this system has TNT-M64.

Maybe there's somebody from ASUS will see this... When you have quantity, don't forget the quality. I really don't think let the users to be the QA/QC is a good idea. At least I hate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X