Disabled superfetch in Vista!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled superfetch in Vista!!

The one thing amongst many that I don't like about Vista is the so called feature..."superfetch". I don't like the fact that the OS is predicting what loads into memory for faster startup etc.

After I disabled it, the HDD activity that would go on for hours now stopped, and I got back some ram that otherwise would be used by Vista to load apps into memory.

Much happier now
    Last edited by Elie; 26 July 2009, 18:43.

MS has gotten smart with SuperFetch in Win7. With certain configurations it will disable SuperFetch automatically. Specifically with SSDs, where it hurt the performance.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The more one reads about W7 vs Vista, the more one does get the impression that Vista was basically a test-case for W7...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
        The one thing amongst many that I don't like about Vista is the so called feature..."superfetch". I don't like the fact that the OS is predicting what loads into memory for faster startup etc.

After I disabled it, the HDD activity that would go on for hours now stopped, and I got back some ram that otherwise would be used by Vista to load apps into memory.

Much happier now
        it's only adviced to disable superfetch when you have very little RAM and/or a SSD. The 'HDD activity' will usually only last a short while (couple of minutes) after booting windows; with superfetch disabled it'll still occur but now whenever you launch a program

You can put your PC into sleep instead of turning it off, and superfetch will not need to reload the memory cache every time.

I've tried Win7 beta & RC on a couple of computers, and I don't see that much of a performance difference or memory usage difference. I'm sure Win7 contains very nice new features and better performance in some parts, but it probably is mostly a P.R. thing for microsoft after Vista got a bad rep.

Comment

You won't see a huge performance difference between Vista and Win7 unless you use an SSD. A coworker has a laptop with an SDD and he had horrible luck with Vista. Once he moved to Win7 it's been performing fantastically. This is primarily due to Win7's implementation of something called the "TRIM" command.

This is where SuperFetch gets shut down automatically. My coworker claims Win7 performance with as SSDs is truly amazing.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X