X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pc 133 not working

I just purchased 2 128mb sticks of pc133 from
    Mushkin... looking forward to overclocking
    my new p3 700(when the price get's to about $450).Unfortunately,my comp won't boot
    with the new memory.
    I've gotten:
    1)blue screen...registry error
    2)black scren..memory not sufficient to load registry..and the latest
    3)Himem.sys has detected unreliable xms memory at address 001060d4 and 0011e0e4...
    xms driver not installed.
    If I put my pc 100 back in everything works fine.
    Any ideas?

P3 550 @617,abit bx6r2(latest bios),192 mb pc 100 and hopefully 256 pc 133,xitel storm
    platinum,G400 max,W98se,etc.

[This message has been edited by surferpop (edited 29 January 2000).]

The first thing I'd do is try to determine if one DIMM was bad. Have you tried using one DIMM at a time?

Also, you might want to try them in different slots.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

paulcs,
      I've tried both dimms separately,and in every
      possible variation in regard to slots.
      Do you know what an xms driver is? I did a search on my hd and found an xms manager..the window said no xms driver was installed...

Comment

Hi surferpop,

The BX6R2 has some known issues with PC133 SDRAM, it has something to do with the memory buffer that it has for supporting 4 DIMMS.

Rags

Comment

What about the Asus p3b-f??, because I've got the same problem

------------------
          I'm just 15, Dutch, can speak 5 languages and my grades arn't to good!
          So bare/bear.............ehe
          Please try to understand me.?!? Ok??
          I do not know, do you?

Comment

This is showing how much of an antique kludge w9x really is. Back in the old DOS days, you had to setup your config.sys and autoexec.bat to load the memory managers. You had EMS and you had XMS, which stand for Expanded Memory System and eXtended Memory System. They were different ways of setting it up so that it can see > 640K of RAM. You generally had to do a lot of tweaking to it for gaming. The games generally liked EMS, where win3x generally liked XMS, if I remember those ol' days correctly. W9X faithfully preserves this legacy DOS kludge, but you only get to see it when things really screw up.

Exactly what kind of memory sticks are they? I have a pair of www.corsairmicro.com PC-133 SDRAM sticks in my BX6r2 and I haven't had the slightest problem with them. They have Micron chips on them, which are absolutely top notch IMHO.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
              Thunderchez,
              They are samsung g-6 on mushkin.

Comment

Does corsairmicro&mushkin do postal orders???

Becuase I live in Holland(The Netherlands) and I do NOT have a visa-card.
                I do not know, do you?

Comment

Spooky. One of my buddies has a BX6r2 with a Corsair Micro PC-133 DIMM with Samsung chips on it and it is running just fine for him at 124MHz FSB CAS-2. I dunno the exact chip id, though.

I would try setting the CAS to 3 in the BIOS to see if that helps.

If not, send them back to Mushkin and get a new pair that will work with a BX6r2.

Comment

Working...
                  X