100Mbit Symmetrical Internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100Mbit Symmetrical Internet connection

Got royally fed up with my previous ISP (Telia) and canceled.

Signed up with another, due to Telia's "you pay per quarter and you pay it in advance", i dident get free untill this week

During those months Sevab (owns the municipal fiber net) decided that finally they could allow higher speeds than 10Mbit without danger for the stability of the infrastructure

Happily I called my new ISP (Bredband2 ~ broadband2) and asked if I could start at 100Mbit instead of the 10Mbit I originally signed up for, to avoid having to wait a month (up and down shifts are on the billing day to simplify accounting).

Fast forward to Tuesday; Telia gets unhooked

Wednesday:

No internet, I wait for it to get starting again, reeboting my smoothwall every hour.
    Nothing, at 5 I go to my work since I don't need to add 30 of waiting in telephone cue on my mobile phone to my problems

After only 20 min in the cue I get to talk to a nice person who after checking his records immediately admits that "hm, he (indicating the guy I talked to about changing the speed) forgot to add a date for the hookup, I'll fix this you will have it hooked up tommorow", a really nice change from telia who would have had me check all my equipment before even checking their side and never ever admitting the fault.

Thursday comes and goes without internet and since its raining I don't make a run to work.

Today, I'm at work and after the usual 20 min wait I get another guy and he admits that something must be wrong and tells me he will call back (oh yeah right, we have heard that one before). But he does call back and says that I should be connected and that he really wants my mac so he can feed the Sevab guys something.

I race home and goes into my smoothwall to check the red nic's mac (to see it you have to switch from DHCP to static or PPPoE) and suddenly it connects and I finally have internet again. Since reebooting or switching the red nic from dhcp or anything else and back makes the smoothwal do a dhcp discovery.(its really annoying that there is no "button" to do it, or that it wont regularly do it when it has no ip)

Now since I promised to call back with the mac I wait the regular 20 min (now on my IP phone) and gets "another guy" again and after the rather loongwinded explanation he says that in his notes Sevab claims that it was hooked up already on Wednesday!!!

I find it really hard to believe their guys are still working after 18:00 which is when overtime starts

Now what I find a bit harder to swallow is that just a bit after someone from Bredband2 calls Sevab up and asks about my connection it suddenly starts working and that its just a coincident since it was hooked up 2 days before.

but as usual: "The error exists in the customers equipment unless proven otherwise"

Oh well, Bredband2's suport was nice and when told that "The mac isn't printed on the underside of my router since its a linux router" he told me what to write at the prompt to get it to display it, last time I mentioned to telia that I had a linux router I was told to remove it since they only supports "real" routers

Anyway, It's working I'm happy
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

100/100 at home? and

What does that cost?
    FT.

Comment

359 swedish krowns per month, If i remember correctly we get one pund for 14 krowns or one euro for 11 krowns so either aprox 25 pounds per month or 32 euro

Incidentally when I first got ADSL 0.5 Mbit up and down I payed 350 skr a month
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
        359 swedish krowns per month, If i remember correctly we get one pund for 14 krowns or one euro for 11 krowns so either aprox 25 pounds per month or 32 euro

Incidentally when I first got ADSL 0.5 Mbit up and down I payed 350 skr a month

I just want you to know...I hate you. In a good way. I would love to have a 100/100 connection, but it won't happen in the US for at least a decade. I feel so...obsolete.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Allow me to raise my fist in anger and join Jammrock in his hateful envy.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
            Ditto.

I have 15/1 here and that is one of the faster connections available to us.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I probably shouldent mention this but.....

I just got 2 months free flatrate 3g mobile phone broadband from my mobile telco and if I continue to use it its 59 skr per month (and otherwise there is a price cap per day for 19 skr so even If i hook a laptop to my phone it wont end up ruining me if I just let it run 24/7/30)

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post

I third this statement!
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I should be getting 20Mbit symmetric to the new place in about a month (15 Euros), 100Mbit is available but costs 100 Euros.

Comment

25/15 Mbps here. Not quite 100/100 but it is much better than the 3Mbps/768Kbps I use to have on DSL.

Comment

the best available here

* 10.0 Mbps download speed
                      * 1.0Mbps upload speed ( throtteling torrents to around 5KB/sec )
                      * 95 GB Monthly Usage Allowance
                      * 9 Email addresses

the monthly usage really really sucks .. Internet here is a really sad stats of affair.. and to think that Newmarket had Cable modem access back in the fall of 1995, as the first test area ( in the world? )
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
                        * 1.0Mbps upload speed ( throtteling torrents to around 5KB/sec )
                        Have you tried forcing bitTorrent encryption and changing the port? That will usually bypass any p2p restrictions the ISP sets.

Comment

Technoid, welcome to the real internet, nice to see more of us joing the real speed club
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                            Have you tried forcing bitTorrent encryption and changing the port? That will usually bypass any p2p restrictions the ISP sets.

I have tried several ports, and it is the same deal.. and I have had protocol encryption forced on for months, with no change .. hopefully you americans, which actual choice for high speed will be spared the madness, which has become Canadian Internet connections
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                              Technoid, welcome to the real internet, nice to see more of us joing the real speed club

I hate you too!

Comment

Working...
                              X