X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gidget (Taco Bell dog) dies @15

LA Times story....

Gidget, former Taco Bell dog, dies at age 15

It seems that every time we turn around, another beloved celebrity is passing away. Today, it is with heavy heart that we report yet another celebrity death. Rest in peace Gidget, the Chihuahua who starred in a series of Taco Bell commercials and made famous the phrase "¡Yo quiero Taco Bell!"

Gidget died of a stroke Tuesday at the ripe old age of 15, People Pets reports. She'd lived in comfortable semiretirement since the heyday of the Taco Bell advertising campaign, occasionally making cameo appearances (hawking insurance alongside the GEICO gecko in a 2002 commercial and playing the mother of Reese Witherspoon's Chihuahua, Bruiser, in the sequel to "Legally Blonde").

In the grand tradition of celebrities such as Marlene Dietrich who went before her, Gidget played against type in the Taco Bell ads, portraying a male dog voiced by Argentine American actor Carlos Alazraqui. A few years later, Alazraqui landed the role for which he's best known: Deputy James Garcia on Comedy Central's "Reno 911." But others associated with the ad campaign weren't so lucky. Earlier this year, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled that the creators of the Chihuahua character hadn't been properly compensated for their work, and Taco Bell was ordered to pay $42 million.

Gidget's trainer, Sue Chipperton, described the diminutive dog as a consummate professional on the set in an interview earlier this year with People Pets. But, she said, Gidget had been the victim of typecasting, which limited her career choices (or, rather, Chipperton's choices on her behalf). Although her career waned in recent years, Gidget (and her catchphrase) remained a well-known pop-culture footnote of the 1990s. "She made so many people happy," Chipperton told People Pets.

As Horatio put it so memorably, "Now cracks a noble heart." Good night, sweet prince(ss). We'll miss you and your unerring ability to make us crave fast food.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I take it the LA Times has nothing better to report. Bloody hell! A zillion dogs die every year and I know that their passing causes much grief (I've experienced it myself several times) in some families. However, to waste space on a publicity icon is OTT.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, I totally agree with you: but like many things, context is important.

To give you an idea how popular the ad campaign here in the US was consider: Up until then the breed was never very popular or widespread (most being in the Southwest) from an ownership perspective, but once the ad campaign kicked off, popularity jumped into the hundreds of percent, and in fact caused quite an explosion in the Chihuahua population in general: my In-Laws were one of many who ended up with a Chihuahua during that ad campaign, and though one of their foster children took it with her when she left the foster care system, we all had a positive impression of the breed - though at the time, my children were quite young and had to be carefully watched when they were around Lacy's Chihuahua.

A lot of people found out the hard way that Chihuahuas are very excitable and are not comfortable in noisy environments: households with children from babies to pre-teens can be very wracking for any breed, and the Chihuahua is one whose tolerance for this kind of boisterousness is quite low.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Chihuahua? those small dogs that explodes with yappin' and you really really want to kick into orbit if you happens to find yourself near em?

nope never seen one.....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
        X