Finally got Win2k RTM/Final...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got Win2k RTM/Final...

I almost got everything to work! My SB Live!, NIC and G400 are running beta/incomplete drivers, but they are working. I am still having troubles with my modem though.

I have a DSI (www.digicomsys.com) 3660 internal 56k ISA true modem. This is not a small no name company, as they are the same people that make the Modem Blaster modems for Creative Labs. Alas, Win2k does not have native support for my modem and DSI has yet to produce any drivers. Hopefully when Win2k is officially released they will release drivers. Here's to hoping.

The install took forever and a day. I had to put the Win2k drivers for my Highpoint UDMA 66 controller on floppy and do the F6 thing before install, but no big deal. The actual file copy portion didn't take long, but it took Win2k an hour to check my 35 GB of HDD space...ouch.

Like I said, everything but my modem installed without a hitch. But since the bulk of my time is spent on Evercrack, Win2k will be collecting virtual dust until the modem works. Besides that is seems to be running fine.

Anyone else have any comments on Win2k?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I entered a contest on the Microsoft site and won a copy of W2K pro. I'll be getting it in a week. Hows that? Last contest I won was in 1973, Sun Maid rasins...sunday papers...Folk guitar and 5 country records...

Comment

Jammrock,
      Shouldn't a hardware modem be able to use a generic modem driver?
      Does W2k recognise the COM port on the modem? Does your bios?
      Try installing the COM port first.
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Damn that sucks man. I'm using a Modem Blaster 56k PCI (DI5630) and the built-in drivers work great. I'm kinda surprised that Win2k didn't pick yours up.

The Rock
        Bart

Comment

Jam,
          Hell, if you can get any kind of hardware modem driver attached to it: Just add AT&F as an extra init command. It works for practically anything anymore.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Here's the deal wit me modem. The BIOS see's the modem and sets it up since it is ISA. Win2k sees the modem as a DSI 3660 and asks for the drivers. The NT drivers don't work, the Win9x drivers don't work, standar modem drivers don't work, Creative Modem Blaster drivers don't work (I think the Modem Blaster equivelent is the Modem Blaster 5660). DSI doesn't have Win2k drivers for it and when I wrote them an email I didn't get a response about when they will come out. Win2k does not have built-in support for the Modem Blaster 5660 anyway, at least its not on my modem list.

Some of the drivers will install, but the modem does not work. I even copied the resources from Win98 and tried to setup my modem in Win2k to use the same resources, but no go. Does anyone know where to install COM ports in Win2k. I tried to setup a virtual port for the modem to access, but couldn't find where to do it. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

Jammrock

------------------
            PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 25 January 2000).]

Comment

Jammer,
              I think that thing is a Win-Modem. They do not show support for win 3.1, which I assume means not DOS, which I assume means Win-Modem.
              That would explain why no hardware COM port shows up when it is installed.
              I hate those things.
              chuck

Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Do what I did with my winmodem....

Call USR and tell them that it doesn't work with your hardware config. They'll tell you to try some stuff, tell them you tried it, and give them some bs error (try to make it sound believable). Try different configs, etc... Eventually they'll suggest RMA'ing the modem. Tell them you wish to exchange it for a non PNP version of the modem. They did for me - back when they bombed the system with a Matrox Millenium or Millenium II PCI on the system.

Guyver - who now insists on external modems, just because....
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Gurm:

It shows in device manager under modems as "HCF 56K PCI Modem". As long as it works I guess. And thanks for the tip about the LiveWare. I was gonna play with that, but not now.

The Rock

[This message has been edited by The Rock (edited 26 January 2000).]
                  Bart

Comment

My modem is NOT a win-modem. Just in case you speed read and missed it the first time, it is NOT a winmodem. I know the difference between a winmodem and a hardware modem and I have a hardware modem.

I uninstalled and re-installed the modem and went to the device manager properties. Aparently Win2k didn't/couldn't find an IRQ and I/O port for the modem to use. I tried changing the info, but it still doesn't work. This is rather annoying. Still no word from Digicom Systems yet.

Jammrock

Comment

GULP!!!

Sorry Jammrock!

Time for new glasses

Guyv
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I got it(modem blaster flash II) to work as an unknown modem. I set it to (non PnP) com 2 (2f8 irq 3) using the jumpers and disabled com 2 in my bios. Windows picked it up as an unknown modem. Had the same problem as you when I had it as PnP. Was hoping they had fixed it in 2195. Recognizes my Jaton as a Rockwell straight up (fat lot of good that does on this crappy phoneline 12kbps ARRRGGGHH!!!)
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

One thing about Win2K...I don't think it supports ISA devices..Everything has to be plug and play on it and PCI. I remember reading that a couple months ago and I went out and got a PCI 56K modem to replace my old flashed K56Flex modem that I got when 56K wasn't even out yet. Just a thought.

Scott

------------------
                          Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

uhh, dude, I have an Adaptec AHA-1540CF. It's ISA, it's not PNP, and I got ACPI up in here.

Comment

Working...
                            X