To buy or not to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy?

Athlon 500's are pretty cheap at the moment (£125.00 + VAT), I expect this is because they are effectively discontinued, but use the old .25 core. The Athlon 550 is slight ly more expensive and available with a .18 core.

Now the problem is that from the info elsewhere on the web the newer Athlons ie. .18's are not as overclockable as the older .25's.

Do I get an old 500 while I still can, which should clock to around 700mhz, or do I buy a new .18 Athlon which wont clock very high or buy neither and wait until the .18's are more clockable?

Any views on the subject.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

What's your current computer config?

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

As you asked.......

Machine 1 (Main Machine):-

AMD K6-2 400 @ 450mzh, Iwill XA-100plus, 64Mb RAM, Quantum 5.1Gb HD, SB Live, G200, Compaq Netflex 3 NIC etc...

Machine 2 (Test Machine):-

Celeron 300 @ 450Mhz & Pentium II 450, Iwill DBD-100 dual m'board. 128Mb RAM, WD 3.2Gb HD, SB 64V, G400 DH, 3Com 3C509 etc...

Machine 3 (Server):-

Pentium II 300 (very old so not clockable!), Shite LX m'board, 64Mb RAM, Compaq Wide SCSI controller, various small IDE & SCSI HD's, Tident AGP Card (Doh!), 3Com 3C509 etc.

I work as a computer engineer hense the odd assortment of hardware!
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

If you want something relatively cheap and you're worried about getting a .25 micron part, have you considered an FC-PGA coppermine? You can probably o/c a 500 or 550 to 700+ without any kind of super elite cooling. Just get that Iwill slocket and a good BX board and you can avoid all the headaches of Athlon boards as well as the giant hole they burn in your pocket.

Comment

Working...
        X