Nasty insidious computer fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty insidious computer fault!

The other day, I switched on a computer with three hard drives, each with its own Windows XP. Drive #0 has for first partition C:, on which the main Windows is installed. It got as far as as the boot manager but Windows would not boot up, several times. I thought connection problem so I opened it up and checked every plug and socket. All seemed OK. Windows would still not boot up.

I then tried one of the other drives. This time, Windows started to boot but baulked half-way through. Same with the third one which housed what I have on the main one, as a backup, dated about 3 months ago. I then tried a repair installation of Win on the last one. It worked except that several drivers were not acknowledged. I installed them and it started limping along ± correctly. In a moment of aberration, I saw that Win was on the C: drive and thought this was the main one I tried to access originally, until I saw there were things that I knew were not installed there. I then realised what had happened: Drive 0 had failed. I went into system administration and saw indeed that there were Drives 0 and 1, but the partition letters were haywire, but there should have been Drives 0, 1 and 2. Going back to the hardware, I found two drives were hot and the third one was only warm.

I checked the SATA cable at both ends. I then checked the power cable by swapping it over from the second drive. Lo and behold! A perfect boot up. As I was plugging in the power cable from the first to the second drive, I noticed it went in at a slight angle, so I switched off and pulled the plug and looked at it under a magnifier:

It showed there was a tiny crack at the LH end in this photo. This allowed the top surface of the plug to lift slightly, just sufficient to have a poor contact at that end. I changed the plug and everything then worked normally. What I found aberrant and misled me was that Win changed the drive letters: this threw me until I realised what had happened.

I find the SATA plugs/sockets to be flimsier than in IDE (PATA) drives and consequently less reliable. I wasted a lot of time before I found that tiny crack, hardly visible to the naked eye.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

No windows, no drive letters, no problem
    Well you'll easily find new interesting problems to replace this one, but still..
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I always wondered what bonehead agreed the mechanical standards for SATA.
      FT.

Comment

Also a word to the wise: use latched SATA cables, they have a metal latch that clicks into position, firmly locking the cable in place.
        An example here:

Most supplied cables lack the latch, making them very loose and easily removed. My raid 5 went critical after one disk failed. I noticed a cable had come loose, reseated it but during the rebuild another cable came loose! (manage to recover all the data, thanks to the technical support guys at Promise, but had to re-initialize the raid afterwards)

But I don't know if there are latched versions for the power cables though...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X