Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,500x >visual memory

Link....

Coming Soon: Photographic Memory in a Pill?

Scientists isolate a protein that significantly increases visual recall

Wish you had a photographic memory? Well, Encyclopedia Brown, drugs may amp your brain up to that point soon. A group of Spanish scientists claim to have singled out a protein that can extend the life of visual memory significantly. When the production of the protein was boosted in mice, the rodents' visual memory retention increased, from about an hour to almost 2 months.

Unlike the long-term memory creation that was imaged recently, this memory extension only applies to memories made through the poorly-understood visual cortex of the brain. The scientists first removed from mice the portion of the brain believed to be associated with visual memories--layer six of the V2 region--and showed that the mice could no longer remember any object they saw. They then increased the production of a group of proteins--RGS-14--created in that cortex. The mice's retention of visual images was increased almost 1,500 times.

Imagine the implications of an over-the-counter memory enhancer this powerful. There’ll be no need to cram for tests the night before; you can do it months before. No need to ask for directions again -- just review the map before your trip and every turn is committed to your powerful memory. Games of memory would become obsolete. And regular schlubs like me can claim to be in the same league as historically famous photographic memorizers as Mozart, Nikolai Tesla, and Desi Arnaz.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This is the worst idea ever. I applaud them figuring it out. Now it must never ever be made, or consumed. Ever.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm with Gurm.
      Somethings you don't want to remember for very long.
      Like the time I walked in on my monster-in-law when she had just gotten out of the shower
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

And what about as a treatment for those with progressive dementia - Alzheimer's etc. - or other memory disorders like those who cannot form long-term memories?

Not to mention HS/college students who are cramming for exams
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm sold. Sign me up for the clinicals.

Kevin

Comment

progressive dementia - yes
            "normal" people - no. At least not until we know more about how the brain really works. I've found the more that you learn about the human brain the more you realize how little we really know about it.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

It's like with all modern developments: they can be great, but they can also be used for bad things... We shouldn't stop development, but great care needs to be taken in how knowledge is put to practise.
              (a great movie in this context, which is scary at the same time as it is a possible realistic future, is Gattaca)
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Bingo.

I don't even support this for treatment purposes until it is FULLY understood.

There are REASONS our brains are wired as they are. I read a great piece in National Geographic on a woman who remembers EVERYTHING. She has a permanent photographic memory. As a result she: can't form relationships; has problems separating past, present, and future; has difficulty distinguishing between fiction and reality; can barely function.

It's a PHENOMENALLY bad idea.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

And as Claymonkey pointed out to me on a private chat - yes, I'm aware that my opinion may be a little tainted since I already have a semi-photographic memory.

(Side note - I refer to it as "semiphotographic" because the classic claim of photographic memory is both exceptionally rare and completely unproven medically/psychologically. What I do is, quite simply, remember virtually everything I've ever read. Also I remember a great deal - in excess of 90% - of all music I've ever listened to, and most movies I've ever seen. I can't claim it's truly photographic because it's not complete and I can't do it at will. I just have way-above-average recall!)

However, we don't even have a clear understanding of what "normal" is in this case. My grandmother has an even better memory than I do. She can see a piece of sheet music once, never play it, and then play it flawlessly 20 years later. She's been married 6 times and has had 8 children. (Long story!) She's alive, happy and healthy at 85 having long retired from her occupation as restauranteur and chef. She reads nearly continuously.

My OTHER grandmother, who does NOT have Alzheimer's (she's been tested) has, as long as anyone can remember, not been able to recall anyone's name and on occasion can't come up with the right word for anything. I remember being 12 and being told by her to "go out to thing and ask thing for thing in thing". No lie. She was of course asking me to go get my grandfather to bring in the Thanksgiving turkey from the garage fridge where it had been thawing for a week. She did, however, get my attention by snapping her fingers and saying "JasonJeremiahNathanAmandaLynnJoeFrank... YOU."

She has led a long and happy life - has a houseful of novels, still drives and is a woman of independent means at 83 despite significantly declining health, and is an absolute whiz with numbers. She clearly remembers events from her youth and who is married to whom. Just not what their names are.

Both of these women are "normal".

Until we understand what the extremes of "normal" are, we shouldn't attempt to amp it up.

Anan's link to "Flowers for Algernon" is ridiculously apt. While fictional, its musing on what it means to be human and normal - as well as what can go wrong when we tamper with memory and understanding - is just as important today as ever.

Comment

I just want a small boost in my memory.. just enough so I don't forget half the stuff I go shopping for
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                        She did, however, get my attention by snapping her fingers and saying "JasonJeremiahNathanAmandaLynnJoeFrank... YOU."
                        Hell, I've done that with our kids names, and tossed in the dogs names for good measure

Comes from having to contend with four kids and two dogs who, at times, could very likely instill confusion in God's mind

- in one month we had three of them in the ER getting their head stitched. Eldest boy ran through the hall so fast he couldn't make the turn, busting his crown on the archway. Our daughter got in the way of her brother pushing over the pool ladder. Middle son repeated the eldest boys hall running technique. Minimum 10 stitches, and about 200 gray hairs, each.

- eldest son who at three climbed the swing set's tower on the outside then decided to do a high-wire act across the swing crossbeam. Wife looks out kitchen window and screams like a banshee.

- eldest boy who at two climbed the ladder I used to get on the roof to repair storm damage. I see him doing his high-wire act on the peak of the roof and go to meet him half way. Wife looked up, turned whiter than the sheets she was hanging and screamed like a banshee.

- middle son caught diving off the roof into the pool....at least 5 times per summer.

- middle son caught diving off a tree near the pool....at least 5 times per summer.

- middle son caught on the highest portion of the roof watching girls with binoculars....at age 7.

- youngest son caught going down a parks sled run.......on his scooter.

- youngest son who this spring told his mother he want's to "be like dad" and take up skydiving, racing and rock climbing; "sounds like FUN!!".

- daughter who copied almost every stupid move her brothers could come up with.

you get the idea.....and that's about 1% of it. Personally, I don't know how my wife's survived with her nerves as intact as they are.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 July 2009, 18:26.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The vodka helps

I should know. I've 6 yr old twins and a 3 year old (1/2 their size) who does everything they do.

Comment

Working...
                          X