Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-power cars? Hydrogen generation from urine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-power cars? Hydrogen generation from urine!

US researchers have developed an efficient way of producing hydrogen from urine - a feat that could not only fuel the cars of the future, but could also help clean up municipal wastewater.

Using hydrogen to power cars has become an increasingly attractive transportation fuel, as the only emission produced is water - but a major stumbling block is the lack of a cheap, renewable source of the fuel. Gerardine Botte of Ohio University may now have found the answer, using an electrolytic approach to produce hydrogen from urine - the most abundant waste on Earth - at a fraction of the cost of producing hydrogen from water.

Botte says the idea came to her several years ago at a conference on fuel cells, where they were discussing how to turn clean water into clean power. 'I wondered how we could do this better,' she adds - so started looking at waste streams as a better source of molecules from which to produce hydrogen.

Urine's major constituent is urea, which incorporates four hydrogen atoms per molecule - importantly, less tightly bonded than the hydrogen atoms in water molecules. Botte used electrolysis to break the molecule apart, developing an inexpensive new nickel-based electrode to selectively and efficiently oxidise the urea. To break the molecule down, a voltage of 0.37V needs to be applied across the cell - much less than the 1.23V needed to split water.
    FT.

While interesting it's just another attempt to resurrect the near-dead "hydrogen economy" idea. Yes, it makes producing hydrogen a bit easier in some areas, but it still does nothing for the transportation problem.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc, you are far to pessimistic.
      One little equation proves that this idea will be popular.
      At least at MURC

Hydrogen = urine
      BEER = urine
      Hydrogen = BEER

QED
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hehe...

IMO, hydrogen is often mistaken for an energy source. It is not: it is one way to store energy (with benefits and drawbacks). So you still need something to generate it. This finding makes it possible to loose less energy when storing it.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Bugger! With prostate problems, my car ran out of fuel.

In some parts of the US, pissing into the fuel tank will get you on the sexual offenders list! It'll need separate car designs for men and women!

Seriously, urine contains typically only ~ 2% urea, so you would need a helluva lot. Also, if you extract the hydrogen, you are left with some really potentially nasties, closely related to cyanides, as the remaining elements are carbon, nitrogen and oxygen. Guess this has not been thought through.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
            Bugger! With prostate problems, my car ran out of fuel.

Seriously, urine contains typically only ~ 2% urea, so you would need a helluva lot. .
            Just park you tanker outside a local bar Friday / Saturday nite. Will soon be full.
            paulw

Comment

Working...
            X