Plextor W8432T/WinOnCd problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor W8432T/WinOnCd problem

Excellent drive, but I've just got one problem in that CD to CD copying just won't work (I am using supplied CeQuadrat software WinOnCD 3.6). I think it may be more or a software than hardware problem as it makes no difference if I try and create an image to the hard disk first. When I press record the software says Reading TOC followed by analysing Track 1. At this point it hangs (I have to use Task Manager to get rid of it). I think it's basically refusing to read my DVD ROM drive (32xCDRom). However it's fine if I for instance do a data/audio tracks copy from my DVD.
    My hard disk and DVD are on primary IDE and the Writer is on secondary as master. I have flashed both drives with latest firmware. Do I assume the software is cak and fork out on Nero or something, or does someone know why this is happening. Ta...

Athlon650/MSI6167/256MB/Matrox32MBDH/IBM22GB/Plexriter8432Ti/SamsungDVD(SD-606F)/SBLivePlatinum

What type of CD are you trying to copy? Some CD's, like PSX, need special software to copy them.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hi, yes I was going to say, I've tried loads of different CD's - I thought games CD's would probably give the most problems, so I tried backing up my drivers CDs, and some of those free magazine / ISP CD's etc.
      Think I will download the demo of nero and see what happens - I'll try it tonight.

PS. Just talked to someone who say I should go to the adaptec site and download aspi32.exe and do jiggery pokery with SCSI settings, as you can guess I'm a bit dube as I don't have any SCSI hardware. Does it make sense to you?

Comment

One other thought...is your DVD and CD-RW on the same IDE chain? I have found that putting the CD reader and writer on differnt channels seems to help (i.e. the DVD on Primary Slave and the CD-RW on Secondary Master). And getting a better burning program will definately help, too.

Of course, your CD reader just may not be able to handle 8x streams. Try reading/burning at a slower speed and see if it works.

Jammrock

Comment

As I said the DVD is on primary (slave) and the writer is on secondary as master.
          I don't believe this, I installed Nero4 demo and my PC crashes on bootup now (I've never had a problem like this). As it's booting I get a blue screen:

Exception 0E occured at 0028:0000013 in VxD ---. This was called from 0028:C1876837 in VxD ---.

It's worse because my PC won't let me do a safe boot! (the function key seems to be disabled) - heeellllllpppppppppppp meeeeeee!

Comment

You computer won't boot after installing Nero? Eek, sounds like big trouble.

When you say your computer won't safe boot, you mean you hit the F8 at the Windows is now starting... screen and it doesn't give you the Boot menu? Unless someone disabled that feature it should be automatically running.

BTW, did you install Direct CD on your system?

Jammrock

Comment

Yes F8 doesn't work. I think I set the menu delay to 0 once, I guess that's synonymous with disabling safe-boot. Looks like a windows re-inst for me, unless you know if I can boot DOS or something and jig the file that has the safe-boot option (don't tell me - it's in the registry). Cheers Jamrock...

Comment

Try holding down CTRL when booting up
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I was going to suggest a re-install anyway.

Try holding down the Ctrl key like DentyCracker suggested, that should work since F8 doesn't. It sounds like you have entered DLL hell to me, a re-install would probably be the best option. If you have data you need to keep just delete the Windows folder and then reinstall.

Jammrock

Comment

Phew, I was totally against a re-install so I booted DOS and looked around. After many tries and reboots I finally found the culprit - NEROCD95.VXD.
                    Why did this file give me grief?

Comment

PS. forgot to mention I still have the original problem (in Nero as well) ie. CD-CD copy hangs the software during the analysing stage.

Comment

Looks like you need a re-install. Delete the Windows directory then re-install, you may have some remnants of Direct CD still on your computer causing troubles. Direct CD is a bane to all!

Jammrock

Comment

Just got this from CeQuadrat.Seems like common knowledge that people get these problems with writers! Hope this means I won't need to re-install Windows.

For Nero-Burning the "Troublefile" is NEROCD95.VXD in the same directory. Please remove the files winaspi.dll, wnaspi32.dll and apix.vxd from your system and restore them once again from your Windows 95 CD.
                          Under Start Run:

for Windows98 second edition:
                          Extract D:\win98\win98_42.cab winaspi.dll wnaspi32.dll /L
                          C:\windows\system
                          Extract D:\win98\win98_50.cab apix.vxd /L C:\windows\system\iosubsys
                          Replace D:\ with the drive letter where your Win 95 CD is in.

Comment

Working...
                          X