Warning FF3.5 and private browsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning FF3.5 and private browsing

I have installed FF3.5 and thought I'd try private browsing. I also have AVG 8.5 for my security suite.

I went into private browsing (Ctrl-Shift-P) and typed 'jobs vacant electronics' in the FF Google box, as being a typical behaviour for which private browsing may be used. I got thousands of job offers, as could be expected. I then went back to normal browsing. Typing 'jobs vac...' in the Google space showed that it had 'forgotten' my enquiry, as it ought. Great!

Then I looked at the AVG Security Bar and what did I see? In the Yahoo Search Box, loud and clear, 'jobs vacant electronics' for all and sundry to see you have been looking for a new job (or p0rn) when you shouldn't have been. Hide the AVG security bar!!! However, that is not 100% sufficient because, if you show it again, your last private search phrase comes up again.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Is AVG security bar some kind of Firefox add-on?

Comment

It is added to FF when you install AVG.

I reported the bug to AVG and received the response:

thank you for your e-mail.

We would like to inform you that there is indeed a slight difference
      in the AVG Security Toolbar behavior in Internet Explorer and Mozilla
      Fire Fox 3.5.

The issue has been reported to our developers and you will be notified
      once it is resolved.

Thank you for your report.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Sounds like an AVG problem more than an FF problem, one of many AVG-ism's about these days which is one reason why I quit using it.

There is an FF3.5 patch coming in a couple weeks though for a problem with the Javascript engine that somehow made it past the beta and RC phase.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

These days every software wants to install a toolbar in default browser. One of my friends had 7 IE toolbars occupying almost half of vertical screen height. I always remove add-ons and toolbars after installing software if I forgot to deselect them during custom-install.

Comment

I just install AVG without the toolbar. You're right. It does strange things to the browser. I've observed mainly surfing slowdowns & program hangs.

I also never use Spybot's Tea-timer. It's even more annoying than Vista's User Account Control.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
              I just install AVG without the toolbar. You're right. It does strange things to the browser. I've observed mainly surfing slowdowns & program hangs.

I also never use Spybot's Tea-timer. It's even more annoying than Vista's User Account Control.

Kevin

same here.. tried the avg toolbar once and found it annoying so ust install AVG without the toolbar, nowadays i always do custom installs anyways.. saves me the trouble later
              Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
              ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
              X