New fileserver ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fileserver ...

I got three of these to satisfy my NAS/fileserver needs (each around 70-80 USD from ebay).

Got two of these (110 USD each) and accompanying shells to go with them (~25 USD each).

Upgraded the firmware in the NSLU2 to run a custom linux (SlugOS4.8beta). Spend time on installing programs. Spend even more time on configuring programs.

voila, 500GB fileservers that draws less than 5 Watt!

Pro:
    - runs linux: very flexible
    - very low power draw

Con:
    - 266Mhz ARM CPU, 32MB RAM: limited resources for services. Max throughput to read/write files from my MS Vista PC was limited at 48Mbps.
    - runs linux: things almost never works as it should without needing to troubleshoot a lot. As I'm not a programmer, it means that some stuff doesn't work as it should and never will till someone else fixes it.
    - SlugOS is a small distro: As the distribution is a bit obscure, the amount of packages available is limited (to around 5000-6000). Appearantly compiling yourself is an option (but a very slow one) on the NSLU2 itself.

Current software installed and configured on the NLSU2:
    samba server (for Windows filesharing needs)
    ssh server (when needing to manage the thing)
    OpenVPN server (so I can get to my fileserver from anywhere with a net connection)
    TwonkyMedia server (uPNP server for share my entire music, videos and picture collection to all uPNP compatible devices on the network/VPN; which is primarily WMP11, WMP12 and a Philips NP1100).
    dm-crypt (encrypts personal documents share with AES ESSIV cipher, which hopefully means that in case the NSLU2 + USB HDD is stolen, the thieves will not have access to my personal documents; network throughput from/to USB HDD is reduced to about 1MBps from ~5MBps with encryption enabled)

Software to be installed:
    I tried to install Twonkymedia, but it's not compatible with SlugOS5.3beta this is one of those things where linux is a major, major pain to use. Downgrading to SlugOS 4.8 beta fixed this.
    - printserver
    - some sort of synchronization util to sync the contents between multiple NSLU2 boxes over the net during the night (as an off-site backup)
    - torrent client that will automatically download any torrent dropped into a specific network share
    Last edited by dZeus; 13 July 2009, 00:57. Reason: status update

Cool Project! Mine is not quite as compact and as low-powered...

[ThreadHijack]

My newest server is coming along rather nicely... Rackmount, baby!

Specs: Tyan 2720-533, 2x 2.0GHz LV Xeons, 4GB Reg ECC DDR RAM, Adaptec SA2820-8 SATA-II HBA, 4x 1.5TB drives RAID5, 2x 250GB RAID1 (As Yet to be installed).

Currently burning it in using Windows PE/RE version 2.2; the Main Storage Array is already Formatted and ready for deployment.

[/ThreadHijack]
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

You forgot the most important spec, the cost!
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
        Cool Project! Mine is not quite as compact and as low-powered...

[ThreadHijack]

My newest server is coming along rather nicely... Rackmount, baby!

Specs: Tyan 2720-533, 2x 2.0GHz LV Xeons, 4GB Reg ECC DDR RAM, Adaptec SA2820-8 SATA-II HBA, 4x 1.5TB drives RAID5, 2x 250GB RAID1 (As Yet to be installed).

Currently burning it in using Windows PE/RE version 2.2; the Main Storage Array is already Formatted and ready for deployment.

[/ThreadHijack]
        that should satisfy some filestoring needs

Comment

Just a little more cost: The Motherboard and Processors were $75.00US from Widefault on 2CPU.com (I needed to order a backplate for it which added $8.00US to the cost.), the Adaptec HBA was $110 also from a user on 2CPU.com, the Power comes from a CoolMax 600WATT EPS-Rated Modular PSU ($78.00US), and the case is an Ark Technology/ Codegen E-ATX 4U Rackmount case (cheap, but solid enough), I added a few cooling fans (120mm Antec Tri-Color TriLight and a pair of 80mm Vantec Thermalflows) from Performance PCs, internal power and data cabling were also sourced from Performance PCs ($70.00). This build has been going on a long time: it took the better part of a year to assemble all of the components. The final pieces were the hard drives... all drives on this thing are Seagates, and THAT is where the money was spent: about $650 for 4x Seagate SV35.3 1.5 TB, and two Seagate SV35.3 250GB Drives.

This is the "Permanent Storage" location: There is a lot of regular SMB/SMB2 filespace available for Windows, but there is also a fair amount of Space set aside for iSCSI Targets/Volumes (about 800GB); I fully intend to switch most of my Home PCs to iSCSI Boot when Windows 7 hits Gold - yes the NICs are expensive, but the end result will be worth it.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
          X