GM.... do or die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM.... do or die

well the decision is June 1st (tomorrow) let's see what happens. That company really needs to declare chapter 11 and start all over again with lower pay rates and better designers.

Whatever they do, they need to pay some bills soon.
    I'm working the back parts counter at a Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Caddy dealership.
    A couple weeks ago, Delphi stopped shipping parts.
    This past week, Isuzu stopped.
    Delphi makes many of the electronic and steering components we sell.
    Isuzu makes all the DuraMax Deisel stuff.

If GM doesn't make some payments, there's gonna be a lot of vehicles off the road waiting for parts....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

And our sister Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep store is facing similar problems.
      Cummins has stop supplying them parts for their diesel trucks...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
        And our sister Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep store is facing similar problems.
        Cummins has stop supplying them parts for their diesel trucks...
        I say die. But if they go into chapter 11 , who picks up the bill for their pension/healthcare obligations?

Comment

the US government?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
            who picks up the bill for their pension/healthcare obligations?
            Sounds like a job for the union.. they should be the ones running that anyways, not GM, then they have nobody but themselves to blame if it does not work out.
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

GM officially goes into bankruptcy protection, we'll see how things turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
                I say die. But if they go into chapter 11 , who picks up the bill for their pension/healthcare obligations?
                The way I understand it, all pensioners and former employees are f***ed. Current emplyees' contracts will be renegotiated and they'll come off worse.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  The way I understand it, all pensioners and former employees are f***ed. Current emplyees' contracts will be renegotiated and they'll come off worse.

The pension fund is protected by law...but if all the investments in that fund aren't worth much then yes, they are f***ed. Though GM can file a motion that protects them from putting anything new in the fund, but they aren't allowed to touch the money that's already in there. At least that's how I understand it.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well at least they don't have to change the logo GM = Government Motors..
                    paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                      Well at least they don't have to change the logo GM = Government Motors..

LOL, sooo true!

Comment

GM sells Hummer to the... Chinese?

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...5512F220090602

Comment

Oh No! Kiss that brand good bye

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                            Oh No! Kiss that brand good bye
                            No! We make high quality! Make Hummer with heavily leaded scrap steel!
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

The upside of someone....anyone.... buying Hummer, is that it will keep some 3000 GM plant workers in work, at least for a while longer, till the new owner gets tooled up.
                              Plus, every Hummer after the original Humvee is just a glorified Chevy Suburban under different sheet metal, so they will be sourcing replacement parts from GM for years to come.

Better for all involved than letting Hummer shut down.

Comment

Working...
                              X