"Dad, my 'puter's screwed up...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dad, my 'puter's screwed up...."

Middle son reported that his system was shutting down and the temp gauge read 170F

Yes, he's been told to clean his system regularly

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

cool.. a heatsink with shag carpet
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I am big fan of having a large intake fan with easily replaceable/cleanbale filter

saves a lot of hassles

Comment

Looks like a fossil
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I had the same problem recently - someone at work was telling me that their home computer would only stay on for so long and then shut off.
          Me, "How old is it?"
          Them, "About 4 years"
          Me, "It is probably full of dust and overheating"

So they bring it in, and sure enough, the heatsink was so clogged with dust you could not even see a single fin. Disgusting. Zero airflow.

And its always the smokers.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Thats why I won't smoke in the same room as my PC.
            i don't even really smoke in the house...can't stand the smell of old smoke...

I Did have a small "behind the monitor" PC at my last job, that came from a bar, where it was used to transfer photos from cards to the HDD or a CD or to the FTP site for printing.
            The client was complaining of it being slow....
            The PC stank, literally, of old smoke, and when we opened the PC up, all of the PCB's were covered in smoke oil and tar...and when we fired it up, it got hot inside, and the smell was awful..
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Had a friend once who lived in an apartment that had a through-wall air conditioner. He (stupidly, IMO) parked his computer desk under it thinking it would keep it cooler. Problem was small amounts of water were dripping un-noticed onto back of its case and had infiltrated inside.

A few months later he's on my doorstep asking for help, won't even post, so into the shop we go. On opening the case the cause was easy to find: a thick mat of green mold covering the mainboard - top and bottom - and some of the cards.

Never could revive it.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I helped a friend once who system was shutting down all the time. He was a smoker, and smoked inside. I ended up having to replace his power supply and cleaning out the tar encased dust in his heatsink still gives me nightmares.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I've fixed machines with similar issues. I could have knit a sweater with the dust I found in this thing.

Comment

I could post tons of pics of Computers with "Fuzzy" innards

I'm currently wondering if I'll ever see any dead rodents inside a computer, that be the logical next step
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

while not finding a dead rodent inside, I did have a computer with a mouse nest on top of the video card.. mouse poops everywhere and urin staining .. amazingly the video card survived after being washed.. I "think" it was an original Matrox Millennium . The mouse had gotten inside through a missing slot cover.
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                      X