ACK! Help me undelete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACK! Help me undelete!

I ran a backup script from the shell that didn't go right. The script deleted a bunch of files and folders in the wrong directory, and managed to do some damage before I could ctrl+c it. I lost multiple directories and files.

They are not in the trash bin. Please note that this is an NTFS partition.

I ran the linux tool PhotoRec which seems to be recovering the files. However, it's dumping them into a giant folder with random file names. This is better than nothing, but most of these are personal photos that I've been organizing over the years. If I can avoid it, I'd really rather not have to reorganize everything.

Does anyone know of a tool that will recover the data and place it in the directory that it was originally in? I don't mind paying for it so long as it's reasonable. It can be for Windows XP, Vista, or Linux.

Holy crap - story of the year...

So I removed the disk from the machine and plugged it into an XP machine to try some Windows recovery tools (since it was an NTFS disk).

Upon bootup, XP said that the volume was "dirty" and was going to fix some file table entries. When completed, the machine finished loading windows. I checked the contents of the drive and voila - everything was back to how it was before the rm -rf!!!! Hooray for windows and NTFS for fixing this. It made my week!

Comment

Working...
    X