Star Trek SPOILER thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek SPOILER thread.

Don't read this if you don't want spoilers!

My fav points in the movie:

The action...
    The space dive/fight on the drill rig. While the whole movie was packed with more than enough action, this was edge of the seat stuff.

The effects...
    No shortage here either. Lots of great effects
    Enterprise rising out of the clouds of Saturn's moon. Gotta find that for my next desktop wallpaper.

The sex...
    Kirk and a green chick....no surprise.
    Spock and Uhura...big surprise.

Time travel...
    It was refreshing to have a trek story where time travel did not end in the crew fixing everything. To the contrary, they used it to open the door to a whole new set of possibilities by ending with a 'new trek time line'.
    At the end, when they destroyed the Romulan ship with the singularity, I though 'here it comes...they're gonna time travel back through the black hole and fix it all'.

Spock...
    Wow, Nimoy is not looking too good these days.
    Wonder if he'll live to make the next one.

The Humor...
    Kirk's alergic reaction to Bones' injection...running around the ship with his hands swollen like balloons, numb tounge, and Bones chasing him around injecting him was hillarious.
    "Tounge numb? I can fix that!" (fsssstt)
    "SHTOP THAT!"

Best flic I've seen in years...maybe decades.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

I agree - we all (full family outing - kids/grandkids etc.) had an absolute blast.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Scotty and Chekov where hilarious too.

Checkov trying to get the computer to recognise his 'v's ('wee's) was classic.
      Scotty "I've never transported 3 ppl from 2 locations to 1 transporter pad before".
      Pretty much every thing he did in the movie was funny.

I wanna see it again already
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Anton Yelchin (Chekov) was born in St. Petersburg (then Leningrad), Russia and starred as Bobby Garfield opposite Anthony Hopkins in the adaptation of Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis.

His next turn is as a young Kyle Reese in Terminator: Salvation.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Anton Yelchin (Chekov) was born in St. Petersburg (then Leningrad)....
          That musta been hard on his mom
          They shoved him back in to be born a second time? OUCH!

Comment

ha ha....but then a student of history knows that St. Petersburg was the original name of the city before the Soviets renamed it Leningrad during their reign. It reverted after the collapse if the USSR.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So they shoved him back in, just be be reborn in the same place?
              Seems like a waste of effort....

Comment

I saw it last night in a very swanky cinema. It was a top evening all around.

During the post-film burger (at the http://www.handmadeburger.co.uk/ restaurant in Leicester, possibly the best burger I've ever tasted) the post-mortem was pretty much as per Kruzin's list. It did need a little reflection to fully appreciate what they had done with it and what the possibilities are now.

In a way it was sad to see Nimoy having aged so much, but good that he got at least one final outing. Kind of a tribute to the character he made a legend. Quinto did a great job replacing him and I think possibly stole the film.

They could have done a lot more with Pegg as Scotty. It was interesting that they made the engine room look more like a victorian boiler house than an a star ship.

Anyone else notice now busy ALL the lead actors are from their filmographies on IMDB?
                FT.

Comment

Yup...word got out about their respective performances and those entries filled up with new projects for all of 'em.

I'm sure Scotty will get more screen time next time - half the flim was spent just getting Kirk, Spock & McCoy on the E, so not much time for the latecomers.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Finally had the chance to see it tonight. Sorry to pee in the pool, but I was underwhelmed. Yeah, there was lots of slam-bang action and the special effects were excellent. The characterizations were overall pretty good. Urban as McCoy was a little over the top sometimes, and the thing between Spock and Uhura was so unbelievable I almost choked. Otherwise everyone did the best they could with what they had. The set design left a lot to be desired. The engineering section of the Enterprise looked like it was designed using a Windows screensaver. Apparently all you need to build a warp drive is 600 miles of steampipe.

But it's safe to say that Star Trek as concieved by Gene Roddenberry is dead for good.

For God's sake, it was a TIME TRAVEL story. Hasn't Star Trek done time travel to death already? And now we have a whole new parallel timeline to play in, one where all of Star Trek's old rules have been conveniently been flushed away.

If they wanted to create a new universe where they wouldn't be constrained by the existing Star Trek canon, why did they bother making it Star Trek at all? Oh, that's right. I forgot: millions of dollars in name recognition and merchandizing.

Overall the whole thing was dissatisfying for one simple reason: there was nothing NEW in this movie. No exploring strange new worlds, no seeking out new life and new civilizations. No boldly going where no one has gone before (anyone else notice that famous missing tagline?). Beneath the flashy special effects and the clever dialogue the plot reeked of Hollywood hackery of the most banal kind. Wasted potential on an epic scale.

They've made progress in one respect though: they've gone from a Canadian playing a Scotsman to an Australian playing a Scotsman. That's a step forward, right?

Kevin

Comment

I have been informed by my movie-going companions that the tagline was in there, at the very end. I totally missed it. No idea why, unless it was because I was daydreaming by that point.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                        ...The set design left a lot to be desired...Kevin
                        I have to admit that I wondered why on earth they had desklamps on the helm!

Were you in a bad mood when you saw it? Are you an ultra-purist and 'defender of the faith' when it comes to Star Trek?
                        FT.

Comment

Actually I desperately WANTED to like it despite my misgivings. When you think about it, there's really no direction Star Trek can go anymore except back to the beginning. But yes, I definitely am a purist.

I just think that Trek deserves a bit more dignity than the last few films (this one included) have allowed it. This one was full of plot holes you could fly a starship through (way too many to explain away with "alternate timeline" BS). The writers seemed to think "let's just cram as much non-stop, don't-let-them-catch-their-breath action onto the screen as we can fit into 127 minutes. No one will notice." Well, I noticed.

Kevin

Comment

Went and saw it again Friday night.

Still loved it.

I'm something of a 'purist', but if you wanna look for holes in the plot, there are plenty in every episode of every incarnation. Hell, it's FICTION. Even TOS has plot holes from week to week. TNG, DS9, Vgr, and enterprise was full of em (not to mention every movie ever made).

Ignore the plot holes, and enjoy it for what it is...a damn good movie

Comment

be thankful it isn't like the last 2 or 3 seasons of Andromeda. THOSE are plot holes, everything else seems like plot pinholes in comparison.
                              /meow
                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                              Asus Striker ][
                              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                              X