Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek Tomatometer: 96% - should Ebert retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Tomatometer: 96% - should Ebert retire?

Tomnatometer: 94% - 84 votes, 79 fresh/5 rotten

One of the rottens was from Roger Ebert, who IMO should retire.

He spent much of his rambling review decrying minutia like the thickness of cables on a space elevator platform* and the high action level, then in a move that left me scratching my head gave it a 7.5/10 while calling giving it a 'rotten'. This flies in the face of him giving other flicks scores as low as 5.5-6.0 and calling them 'fresh'

Anyhow...here's the link to RottenTomatoes ST page.....

* they're as thick as a refrigerator but Ebert thinks they should be smaller - but OTOH if it's supposed to haul very heavy cargo his theory goes out the window....various papers calling for diameters up to 3 meters.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 May 2009, 11:01.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That's mostly just the absurdity of assigning numerical scores to things like movies, music, games.

Another example, Stalin vs. Martians game. In current rating schemes it definatelly deserves very low number, but it's still lovable.

And let us not get into "we're pretending to have scale from 1 to 10, but in reality it's from 6 to 10".

Comment

He, with movies it's a scale from 1 to 10 but in reality, for me, mostly, it's from 1 to 3.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Personally I don't give a rats a$$ what ebert and others think or rate a movie, I have my own ratings...either I like it or I don't And Star Trek will be one that I will very much like.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
          Personally I don't give a rats a$$ what ebert and others think or rate a movie, I have my own ratings...either I like it or I don't And Star Trek will be one that I will very much like.
          ah the classic 50-50 percent chance dilemma

Comment

the wagner principle?

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

We caught a Thursday night preview and it was just great. Got the crowd going 90 mph then slammed it into 6th gear and held it there. Think in terms of ther first 15 minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark but for most of the film. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Effects? IMO the first few minutes, even before the title, is one of the best space battles ever shot, and the quality is sustained.

Don't worry about Scotty - yes, he's funny (how could Simon Pegg not be?) but he's still the Engineer Supreme. Steals the show in some scenes.

Uhura gets a major "upgrade" being not only a comms officer but an expert linguist and a very sharp and aggressive officer in her own right.

Quinto's Spock is just a great take, his split heritage oozing out as one would expect in a young conflicted man, officer or not.

Ditto for Pine's Kirk - aggressive and sometimes reckless as a young man would be but still with the seed of a commander coming to bear.

Then there is Eric Bana's Nero. No philosophical explanations, no quotes from Melville's Moby Dick here (Wrath of Khan, First Contact etc.), he's got revenge on his mind and is hell bent on single minded violence. Bana channels him nicely.

A very fun ride.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just got home from seeing it.
                Wall to wall action, with just the right amount of very funny comedy relief.
                Worth seeing, for sure...and I might go see it again.
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  He, with movies it's a scale from 1 to 10 but in reality, for me, mostly, it's from 1 to 3.
                  Well, yeah, usually...

I just meant there that published scores are usually in 6 to 10 scale. Gotta keep the favours coming...

Comment

I like Ebert.
                    Frequently I don't agree with him, but I can always tell if I will like the movie whether he likes it or not.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ebert's a pompas old ass.
                      He needs to retire, and just go away.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                      X