CD Writer Problem driving Bongo Nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Writer Problem driving Bongo Nuts!

I have a real long shot question about my CD writer, a Panasonic CW 7502 SCSI 4x burner with an Adaptec 1540 ISA to SCSI card.

I recently upgraded my system to a Pentium 500 III which incleded a new motherboard, an ABIT BE6 and a Maxtor UDM66 13gig HD, which uses HPT 366 Ultra DMA drivers. I also have a Matrox G400max DH.

Ever since I put the CD writer/SCSI card in the new system I cannot burn faster than 2x. I receive a whole host of error messages which include:

T0100: I/O error (06/C5/00) - Write error - buffer underrun occurred
    T0100: I/O error (05/2C/00) - Command error - commands not issued in sequence
    T7127: TrackWriter error - Flush failed
    T7118: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed

I have done a bunch of different things to solve this problem which included updating the firmware on the burner to 4.17, updated the windows 98 Adaptec SCSI drivers, reinstalled my OS a few times along with burner s/w without anything but a bare minimum of drivers. Also I moved my SCSI card between to 2 open ISA slots on the m/b. I also spoke to Adaptec tech and he said to upgrade the win98 driver, which I did. I suggested to "refresh the SCSI card's bios", but the tech guy said that it would make no difference because bios only affects the card in DOS mode, irrelevant in Windows mode. So after all this trouble, I have no success.

The only thing I haven't really played with is the settings of the BE6 motherboard, but I looked at and everything is set to default.

I still can't get the burner to write faster than 2x, and what really burns me (no pun intended) is that on my old system (no name m/b, AMD 233, basic seagate h/d at half the current speed) I could burn at 4 speed no problems. Hell, even that abomination Direct CD software worked.

Help, please.

PS, my system device properties are as follows:

00 System Timer
    01 Keyboard
    02 Programmable Interrupt cntrl
    03 COM2
    04 USB
    04 IRQ holder for PCI steering
    05 Vortex AU8830 Multifnction PCI platform
    05 Vortex AU8830 PCI Audio
    06 Floppy Cntr
    07 Printer Port
    07 Vortex AU8830 SBlaster Pro emulation
    08 System CMOS clock
    09 Matrox G400max
    09 IRQ holder for PCI steering
    10 Adaptec AHA 1540 PnP SCSI host Adapter
    11 Highpoint HPT366 Ultra DMA66 Controller
    11 Highpoint HPT366 Ultra DMA66 Controller
    11 DFE 538TX10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    11 IRQ holder for PCI steering
    12 PS/2 Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Intel 82371AB PCI Bus master IDE Cntrl
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 IRQ holder for PCI steering
    15 Secondary IDE cntrl (dual fifo)

Hi,
    does your 1540CP have a SCSISelect-Setup?
    What are the settings for the DMA-Transfer-rate of the host adaptor, did you test the DMA-Transfer-Rate already? If you have the SCSI-Select BIOS there should be a Diagnostic Tool in the Main Menu.
    IRQ look alright.
    Did you change cables? Is Termination provided on both physical ENDS of the bus and NOWHERE ELSE?

Reply when applicable...
    Regards Sascha
    The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
    Bob Dylan

Comment

I have the exact same problem, and I believe I started seeing the problems after upgrading processors. I even went so far as to put the CD-R in a separate machine with only a single device connected to the bus, the CD-R. Same errors. The first machine had an Adaptec 2940 U2W, the second an Adaptec 2940 UW.

Passed the transfer rate test on both machines. I'm clueless. I'm going to try another software package. And another machine.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 18 January 2000).]

Comment

Hi there,
        the DMA Transfer Test I refer to is not the same as synchronous transfer rate for the SCSI devices. The host adaptor transfer rate is the speed on which the 1540 can transfer data through its ISA DMA channel to and from memory. Since all modern boards use PCI to ISA bridges, the ISA Bus is not that compatible anymore to older ISA Busmaster cards especially those that rely on heavy DMA I/O. The reduced voltage on the bus (3.3V , before the Intel TX/LX PI/PII chipset it has been 5V) that determines logical states is a second problem.

Paulcs, your problem could be different because you use PCI controllers already.

You both seem to use Adaptec CD Creator, Easy CD Creator?
        These Error messages seem too familiar.

If that hasn't been too much you're still welcome to reply...:-)

Regards, Sascha
        Bob Dylan

Comment

Forgot to say: Did you get the latest ASPI-Layer from Adaptec?

till then
          Sascha
          Bob Dylan

Comment

I am (was) using EZ CD Creator v. 3.5. And you're right, they are too familiar.

I'd appreciate if you could recommend another program.

Thanks.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 18 January 2000).]

Comment

I am using CDRWin on my Alpha workstation and my PIII for DAO purposes and NERO Burning ROM V4.0.7.5 on the Intel. Nero worked fine with my 2940 and 2940UW at speeds up to 8x with my Plex 20/8. Before that I used Adaptec and Corel CD Creator (Not EZ CD Creator) with a TEAC 55 S but never saw the problem on my machines.
              I have seen some issues on machines with ISA Bus masters since I work in a computer wholesale/retail shop and have to deal with all kinds of hardware.

If you are into copying CDs the two programs might not be what you want (Copy protection).

For all other things they are just fine.

Regards Sascha
              Bob Dylan

Comment

Why not give this program a go ? After using it on my system I got no more buffer underun errors.

http://www.outertech.com/english/pro.../cacheman.html

Comment

Hi,

forgot to say that Nero uses a BurnProof feature now. It will determine the maximum writing speed and set it accordingly and it will close sessions from a buffer underrun situation.

Regards, Alegria
                  Bob Dylan

Comment

Thanks for help all, but no fix as of yet. I will try the cache solution, but if that fails I am getting a new 8speed EIDE.

Any recommendations, HP, SONY Plextor or Panasonic. What is the advantage of 4mb buffer vs 2 mb buffer...thoughts??

Comment

I have the same CD-R burner but I use the Asus SC200 SCSI card. I also run a P-II 266.

I have seen buffer underrun errors from copying CD to CD. With ATAPI/IDE CDROM readers this seems to be a shortfall of their performance. The solution I use is to click on the checkmark to write to disk first. If you only run into the problem with burning from CD-ROM sources then the CD-ROM reader and not the writer is the problem.
                      I've seen the same problem happen with a more expensive Plextor SCSI CD burner, and again the solution was to copy to disk (option checkbox).

For SCSI drivers I'm using the generic Symbios Logic C810 drivers that Windows 98 selected with plug and play rather than the ones from Asus.

Comment

Bongo,

I too use a High point UDMA 66 controller, but I have it arranged a little different...

1) If you do not have any IDE devices on your Primary/Secondary IDE controllers on your board, disable them in BIOS to free up some IRQ's.

2) Get the UDMA 66 controller on its own IRQ! I don't know too much about the BIOS features on the BE6, but try to manually set the IRQ to 14 if you do not use your onboard IDE.

3) Disable SB Pro emulation unless you actually do DOS gaming. all it does it suck up system resources.

If you have an IDE CD-ROM drive that you are not telling us about, put in on the DMA 66 secondary as master. Are you getting the error messages going from cd-cdr or hdd-cdr or both?

I use Nero Burning ROM and Goldenhawk CD-R Win, they are both great programs. I currently like Nero a bit more (it has a great file burn system).

As for anew burner, I use a Plextor 8/4/32 EIDE drive. It is a wonderful drive and I have had no troubles with it. In my expirience Plextors have always been trouble free, and you can get one of these online for around $220. Imation make a decent 8/20 IDE burner that you may be able to find for a bit less.

If you do scrap your SCSI, put your HDD on Primary-Master (DMA 66), CD-R on Secondry-Slave (DMA 66) and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM on Secondary-Master (DMA 33). I do this and it works perfectly for all my burning! If you have troubles with the CD-R on the DMA 66 chain, move it to the DMA 33 chanel.

Jammrock

------------------
                        PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

This a longshot as a solution the the 2x only burning problem, but I noticed in the MSconfig.exe in WIN98, under ADVANCED, that an option called "use SCSI dble-bufferring" was BOTH checked off and greyed out. I cannot remove the check mark and am wondering if this default is creating the problem with the SCSI card....thoughts...can this check mark be removed....

Comment

Have you tried different CD-R's? Some drives just aren't compatible with certain discs, or burn them more slowly. My friend's CD-R drive doesn't do anything at full speed except for Verbatim blue discs. I find the blue (DataLife+) to be best; yellow ones seem to burn slower.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi Bongo, you can do that manually using notepad to alter your MSDOS.SYS file.
                              Change its read only attribute (take it away)and open the file with some editor.
                              Remove or change the line
                              DoubleBuffer=1
                              to DoubleBuffer=0
                              if you want to switch to unbuffered and vice versa if you want to use it.
                              Save the file and restart to make the changes take effect.

A second thing worth a try is setting up your DMA controller to use a fixed buffer size. You can change this by using the device manager. Open the system components and then open the DMA Controller. Under SETTINGS you can give it a try to reserve a buffer.

Regards, Sascha
                              Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                              X