Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's Orion flunks first landing

Looks like the paracute systems and stability might be an issue

They gave up on land landings (duh) and are now testing water landings of the 4-passenger Orion capsule.

Maybe they'd better take SpaceX up on their 7-passenger cargo Dragon for more than ISS missions. Musk said years ago it could be fitted for lunar missions.

Link....

Dragon - flight version

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 April 2009, 23:59.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You'd think somebody would know how to design a prachute system to safely land a chunk of metal by now. Did everyone forget how they did it back during the Apollo missions?

Anyway, wtf is up with the piles of ads on the space.com website... extremely annoying.

Comment

Is that capsule a lot more 'squat' than the others, making it less stable in freefall?
      FT.

Comment

Looks like things started going wrong right from deployment. The capsule started oscillating almost immediately after sliding clear of the platform. Then the parachutes wouldn't inflate (tangled/too-short lines? Turbulence?). From there it was all downhill (so to speak). Doesn't instill very much confidence.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
          Is that capsule a lot more 'squat' than the others, making it less stable in freefall?
          Orion has the exact same slope as Apollo, 32.5 degrees, but its mass distribution may be way off. Dragon's slope is just 15 degrees.

Other differences:

Dragon uses the ISS's wider Common Berthing Mechanism (CBM) for docking, which can be adapted to mate to most docking ports using adapters including NASA's LIDS and APAS. Orion uses only LIDS.

A very interesting comparison is diameter vs. crew capacity;

Apollo was 3.5 meters and carried a crew of 3; 2 to go down to the moon and 1 to pilot the Apollo in the interim. Nowhere near as much automation as Orion and Dragon which can be put into hibernation and be flown remotely.

Orion's final form is 5 meters and is to carry an LEO/lunar crew of 4. NASA 'went home to momma', just scaling up Apollo; starting fresh inside and adding the new docking system (LIDS) & avionics.

I say 'final' because the troubles with the Ares I rocket has reduced its lift capability so the original larger diameter Orion versions had to go on a diet. Further reductions may be necessary so it can launch on a man-rated Atlas or Delta IV (difference: lower G flight profile with abort modes) if Ares I gets canceled. Best move if Orion is to fly IMO.

No, SpaceX's Falcon 9 Heavy isn't in the cards for launching Orion, largely for political reasons so far. It could toss the Orion and a few thousand kg more while providing engine-out capability and it would be cheaper, but.....
          Dragon is just 3.3 meters, but because of its more vertical walls can be configured with up to 2 decks. This allows for a crew of up to 7 (3 down/4 up) or a mix of crew and cargo (capacity = 3,000 kg/14 cu/m). This also allows Dragon to be launched on smaller diameter rocket than required by Orion. It's also capable of a lifting re-entry.

Dunno what this weeks specs are on Orion, but Dragon can be put to sleep for 1-2 years and with 18 Draco thrusters & 1,200 kg of fuel on board there's definitely no problem maneuvering etc. Doesn't even need retro-rockets in a service module: the Draco's can bring it down. That thing that looks like a service module in other Dragon pics (below) is a 'trunk'- unpressurised storage for up-cargo and the solar panels.

Lunar capability: Elon Musk said 2 years ago that Dragon could be fitted for lunar flight. Nothing in the way but money to convert the trunk into stowage for consumables and upgrading the heat shield (thicker).

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 April 2009, 00:33.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X