Problem w/ WD 13gig HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem w/ WD 13gig HD

I got a new 13 gig Western Digital UDMA66 Hard Drive for my other system and i cant seam to get it to install correctly. On this system i can only get it to format as an 8 gig and a 5 gig partitions, and on the other system it doesnt detect. My Maxtor 13 gigs worked fine on both systems...

Id like to set this drive as a primary slave and just use it as UDMA33 (i dont have a 66 controller). Can some one give me a proper step by step for WD drives, as they obviously dont work the same as Maxtor drives. I have the jumper set correctly on it. Do i need a UDMA66 cable for this drive, even though its not running in UDMA66 mode?
    Thanx all. This thing is really pissing me off, as i have NEVER had any install problems with HD's before...

------------------
    PIII 450 @ 464
    generic BX motherboard
    G400 MAX : )
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
    Creative 36x CD-ROM
    HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
    64 megs PC100 RAM
    128 megs PC133 RAM
    NetGear 10/100
    Soundblaster 32 AWE
    Diamond SupraExpress 56k
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
    1 92mm Sunon Fan
    4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Did you look on the western digital website?

Comment

That's what you get for buying WD.. I have had some formating problems before it resulted in geting a boot disk.. made by ontrack. now these guys make little programs that partion and format the drive in prep for an OS.. They do produce versions of the Disk manager (DM) software for maxtor, quantm and seagate among others.. Maybe theres a free download on site www.ontrack.com !! second thought..I have had problems with fat32..where a drive would not system bootable or format right.. and after a fat16 fdisk and format..then fdisk 32 again have worked perfect.. some wierd boot block configuration I certainly don't understand!

------------------
      Ath 650,G4MAX,MSI Mobo, Vortex 2, Maxtor 6880+, 128 (100)
      Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

cont' here it the product..
        http://www.ontrack.com/op/op_2.asp

Maybe you could aquire it from somewhere for evaluation.. see if it works then think about purchasing it!

This software normally acompanies a retail drive, did you but it OEM?
        Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

I got the drive OEM and the free software(EZ-Drive or something)from WD site is shit. Useless. YEah i know i was asking for it getting a WD and i never would have bought, but im not my brother... he bought it he didnt know any beter.

Ill find an "Evalutation Copy" of the other stuff... I just want to format this damn thing!

ARGGG

------------------
          PIII 450 @ 504
          generic BX motherboard
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
          Creative 36x CD-ROM
          HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
          64 megs PC100 RAM
          128 megs PC133 RAM
          NetGear 10/100
          Soundblaster 32 AWE
          Diamond SupraExpress 56k
          1 92mm Sunon Fan
          4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Check out the documentation on your drive on WD's site. There may be a jumper setting you need to change. Disk Manager is always a last resort. Also check if there is a bios upgrade for your mobo that addresses this problem. BTW i'll NEVER buy WD based on my experiences with them.
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yeah, i know not to buy them... Like i said above my brother bought it, not i. i though he was getting a maxtor... Ohhh well. Its working correctly now. Just took me about 20 different ways of trying to F-DISK it. Had to manually set the partition to max size, not letting FDISK do it manually. Ohhh well, now he knows not to buy WD too.

One + Of WD is my 2 gig WD from early 96 is still running fine.. with no bad sectors. That is the only luck ive ever had with them.

------------------
              PIII 450 @ 504
              generic BX motherboard
              Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
              Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
              Creative 36x CD-ROM
              HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
              64 megs PC100 RAM
              128 megs PC133 RAM
              NetGear 10/100
              Soundblaster 32 AWE
              Diamond SupraExpress 56k
              1 92mm Sunon Fan
              4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Hey Guys whats the deal with the hostitly with Western Digital Drives? At my old job I used well over 100 of them with ASUS motherboards and never had a problems with them installing wise. The Western digital Data Lifeguard Tools which sets up and formats your drive is one of the best utites I've have ever used. I have had problems with them dying a premature death at times(without lost of data, usally can recover it), but their excellent cross RMA they offer with a 3 yr warrenty is top notch.

As for a bad drive manufacture...I have nothing but bad luck with maxtor. I remember getting my first Pentium-90 system back in 1994 and the 850 HD I had in it from them crapped out after 60 days. Fast Forward to 1998 when I put my current system together with a 13GB Maxtor Drive..I had the damn thing 2-3 weeks and it crapped out totally! Then I went to return it to the place that I bought it (after calling maxtor tech support and them not giving me a good answer for when I would get a replacement) and they held onto for month it because Maxtor didn't have any replacements for it! What BS is that??? The place I got it from gave me a credit and I went out and got the current 13 GB drive that I have running Win2000 on now.

Scott

------------------
                Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM, 2x CDR,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Thats odd, cuase i have the same type of story, just reversed companies. LoL. My friend worked in a local comp store for a couple years and had more PC's come in with bad WD hard drives than anyhing else. He said they got two or three a week that were bad..

Comment

Hi, you didn't tell us which OS you were using to partition the drive...
                    Maybe it has got to do something with the OS's limitations.

Regards,
                    Alegria
                    The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                    Bob Dylan

Comment

Nope, it was just a stuburn drive. Just trying to format to FAT32 for win9x.
                      Its all better now.

------------------
                      PIII 450 @ 504
                      generic BX motherboard
                      Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                      Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                      Creative 36x CD-ROM
                      HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
                      64 megs PC100 RAM
                      128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
                      NetGear 10/100
                      Soundblaster 32 AWE
                      Diamond SupraExpress 56k
                      1 92mm Sunon Fan
                      4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

I've still got my Maxtor 850 meg from an old P120, running in a Linux gateway... its always been fine

Never bought a WD, a story I read about a bug in the controller firmware that caused them to head crash occassionally put me off:P
                        Had an IBM 10 gig 10k rpm SCSI drive go wrong last summer, that was a controller prob too, engineer came out with another drive, saw what the prob was and just swapped the controllers over between the drives and its been ok since.

Spose all this says is that there are always faulty components out there, you just gotta try and minimise the chance of getting one yourself

Comment

I've had a 1.6 GB WD and its 3.2 GB replacement go bad on me after a few months each. By the way WD are not producing drives for high end computers anymore. I have had good experiences with Maxtor (sort of). Only problem was with the 10 GB 7200 rpm one I bought a year ago that went bad all of a sudden. (I may actually have killed it accidentally) Anyway they had this "no quibble" replacement policy, but claimed their computer system was down LOL. Anyway I replaced it with an IBM 10 GB which was a little slower. Eventually after much bitching via email (fax the mofos when they don't respond to email)I faxed them a strongly worded letter and got an RMA the next morning. They called me in Jamaica at home to give it to me! Anyway it went up was repaired and sent back and is in my brother's machine working fine since August. I've installed Maxtors (10 GB and up) in several machines without problems. My current preference is for IBM at the moment as they are not only fast and reliable but tend to be quiet as well.
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Heheh, i had to replace my 13 gig Maxtor awhile ago. It died on me all of a sudden... Well i kinda , killed it. Knocked over my tower while the system was running! AK!!! Well needless to say i started it up and it went *click click click click click* Hehehhe. Called Maxtor and had a new drive two days later. I just said it stoped working. Heheh that was fun, but i did lose about 12 gigs of dats! Yikes!

------------------
                            PIII 450 @ 504
                            generic BX motherboard
                            Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                            Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                            Creative 36x CD-ROM
                            HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
                            64 megs PC100 RAM
                            128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
                            NetGear 10/100
                            Soundblaster 32 AWE
                            Diamond SupraExpress 56k
                            1 92mm Sunon Fan
                            4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Working...
                            X