• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda flip-flops on Plug-In/E-REV hybrids

GreenCarCongress link.....

Honda To Put More Effort Into Advanced Hybrids

23 April 2009

In a presentation at SAE 2009 World Congress, Kenji Nakano, Senior Chief Engineer, Honda R&D said that Honda has changed its view of the role and longevity of hybrid technology.

Up to now, said Nakano, Honda had looked at hybrids as a short-term technology bridge between the current state of affairs and fuel cell technology and full EVs.

But hybrids have stayed in limelight longer than we expected. Today, an increasing number of people think that hybrids will remain a player 2-3 times longer, until fuel cell vehicles and electric vehicles begin [gaining share]. Hybrid technology is also applied to fuel cell vehicles, range-extender vehicles, plug-in hybrid vehicles. Thus, instead of being a bridge technology, hybrids are expected to remain in the mainstream for quite some time.
    —Kenji Nakano

Nakano outlined a potential product portfolio running from internal combustion engined vehicles; mild hybrids; strong hybrids; plug-in hybrids; range extended electric vehicles; and full battery electric vehicles. The best choice, he said, will differ depending upon the vehicle type and use.

We think simple lightweight hybrid systems such as IMA are now suitable, especially for compact cars. We’ll do our best to promote hybrid technology which leads to electric drive [such as plug-in hybrids].
    —Kenji Nakano

Separately, Honda issued a statement confirming its commitment to the development and production of cleaner diesel engines for Europe.

Honda has just completed the construction of a new engine plant to supply cylinder blocks and casting parts for its 2.2-liter diesel engines in European models. The manufacturing facility, at Ogawa in Japan, will start production in autumn this year, following the installation and testing of machines and equipment.

Honda currently produces diesel engine cylinder blocks at its Suzuka factory in Japan, and will gradually transfer the casting and machining process of engine parts to the new Ogawa plant. The new Ogawa plant will then supply diesel engine parts to the Sayama factory, to go into the Accord for the European market. It will also supply diesel engine parts for Honda’s factory in Swindon, which produces Civic and CR-V models.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I would agree that hybrids are here to stay. Fuel cell/hydrogen cars are a dead duck and, worldwide, EVs and PHEVs are nnegative from the POV of CO2 and other pollutants. The convenience of a liquid fuel is undeniable: the problem is getting most km out of it, with least pollution and CO2 emissions. My forecast is that, in 5 years or so, the difficulties of a diesel hybrid will have been resolved, so we'll be looking at ~3 l/100 km for a family-sized car. How? I don't know yet but I know of 2 companies working on it. Experimental pre-production series within about 18-24 months (prototypes already running). However, the solution is not easy because diesels do not lend themselves easily to it. I suspect the answer may be in variable capacity dual-fuel engines.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
      ...However, the solution is not easy because diesels do not lend themselves easily to it....
      Why not?
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Something to do with the stress of frequent stop/start of a hot engine knocking hell out of the big ends. Don't know the details but I believe that, under some circumstances, you may get ignition before the piston reaches TDC. I surmise that it may be because there is a dose of unburnt fuel in a cylinder after a stop which is still atomised at a start a few seconds later. If it happened in an ignition fired engine, it would fire only when there is a spark, so it's harmless, but in a diesel there is less control.

Remember that inching in a hybrid may stop and start the engine every second or two. On my car, the engine will stop only twice under those conditions and will then keep running until you move the car for a hundred metres or so before it will stop again on braking.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Something to do with the stress of frequent stop/start of a hot engine knocking hell out of the big ends. Don't know the details but I believe that, under some circumstances, you may get ignition before the piston reaches TDC. I surmise that it may be because there is a dose of unburnt fuel in a cylinder after a stop which is still atomised at a start a few seconds later. If it happened in an ignition fired engine, it would fire only when there is a spark, so it's harmless, but in a diesel there is less control.
          Interesting. Diesel/Hybrid sounds like a match made in heaven at first glance.

Remember that inching in a hybrid may stop and start the engine every second or two. On my car, the engine will stop only twice under those conditions and will then keep running until you move the car for a hundred metres or so before it will stop again on braking.
          This may explain why I consistently get 2mpg better than Becky does when I drive our Civic Hybrid.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

For the record;

E-REV's work quite nicely with diesel as they don't have the cyclic issue - either it's on full battery power and the diesel is off or the battery has run low and it's running with the diesel powering the generator like a locomotive. The only exception would be in cold weather when the engine/generator starts up to power things and warm the battery, then it switches to the battery 'til it's run down.

Opel's Ampere (Voltec system) is slated to get one shortly after the flex-fuel version comes out and other makers have been looking at them.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X