Mark "The Bird" Fidrych (Tiger pitcher) dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark "The Bird" Fidrych (Tiger pitcher) dead

I attended many games where The Bird pitched; entertaining as hell to see and hear him talking to the ball before a pitch and messing around the mound between pitches. That sinking fastball would leave them swinging like a rusty gate. The nickname was because he looked like Big Bird.

For a while he lived near us during his magic season (the story was he lived in an apartment Detroit, but in reality he spent his time in an apartment 30 miles outside of the city). He'd visit with us neighbors just like one of the guys, mess with his car in the lot and play attention to the neighborhood kids who just loved him.

Sad he should die so young.

EDIT: apparently his pickup truck fell on him while he was working on it.

Link.....
    • "When you're a winner you're always happy, but if you're happy as a loser you'll always be a loser."
    • "Sometimes I get lazy and let the dishes stack up, but they don't stack too high. I've only got four dishes."
    • "That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time."

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 April 2009, 19:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X