A bit of an upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of an upgrade

I received my new Dell 2709W monitor last night and have been getting accustomed to increase in real estate on my desk top 1280 x 960 to 1920 x 1200

The image is great and I installed some custom profiles that are working out nicely.

Now the rest of the upgrade of sorts is 2 GB of memory from 512 MB and am working on replacing my old 9800 Pro with a x1650 Pro as soon as I add a larger power supply to run the new card.

Don't laugh... I haven't upgraded my system at home since 2002 except for the 9800 Pro

I'm still running a coppermine 2.21 GHz at 2.8 for the last 7 years....tough little thing...LOL!!!!

I'm holding out till I can get a free Nehalem at work before I upgrade again
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Dont feel bad about yer system.
    I haven't upgraded anything but my vid card since when we had to for Parhelia on the BB list.
    Well past overdue for full system upgrade....but the kids gotta eat, rents gotta be paid first....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

That's when this one was upgraded for the Parhelia...LOL

I need to keep it running till about Q3 this year when Teh Evil Empire will let us have the newer processors that we're busting our azzes to make.

I tried to install the x1650 but my power supplies aren't cutting it. I have a 300W supply which should do the trick but I need to spend some time because I have two 250W supplies wired together. I have to reverse engineer this because I can't find my diagram that I used to get the 2 supplies to run together originally.
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

WAAA....the cheap Diamond x1650 PRO posts but no image.
        I even went and got a 430 Watt power suppy just in case my old 350 power supply wasn't cutting it.

BTW - my old trick for connecting 2 PSUs still works with an ATX 2.2 version.

I have a 300 W PSU running all the cooling fans and drives and the new 430W PSU for the mother board and the video card.

Comment

- nice!
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
            I received my new Dell 2709W monitor last night and have been getting accustomed to increase in real estate on my desk top 1280 x 960 to 1920 x 1200

The image is great and I installed some custom profiles that are working out nicely.

Now the rest of the upgrade of sorts is 2 GB of memory from 512 MB and am working on replacing my old 9800 Pro with a x1650 Pro as soon as I add a larger power supply to run the new card.

Don't laugh... I haven't upgraded my system at home since 2002 except for the 9800 Pro

I'm still running a coppermine 2.21 GHz at 2.8 for the last 7 years....tough little thing...LOL!!!!

Coppermine (Cu) cores were for PIII....I remember the Cu PIII's topped out at 1.0GHz, and after that there were the Tualatin Tu chips....up to 1.3GHz, but got too hot to run acceptably at that speed all the time...
            Do you not mean P4 ? Northwood core ?

edit : I'm not taking the piss, its just I can't think of a chip in that era that would run at 2.21GHz, amd or intel, unless maybe a Xeon chip..?
            Last edited by Evildead666; 15 April 2009, 12:53.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
              Coppermine (Cu) cores were for PIII....I remember the Cu PIII's topped out at 1.0GHz, and after that there were the Tualatin Tu chips....up to 1.3GHz, but got too hot to run acceptably at that speed all the time...
              Do you not mean P4 ? Northwood core ?

edit : I'm not taking the piss, its just I can't think of a chip in that era that would run at 2.21GHz, amd or intel, unless maybe a Xeon chip..?

You are correct. It's been so long since I've upgraded anything on my old system...LOL!!!

Comment

Finally.... I got a Sapphire x1650 512Mb installed that works

Comment

Congrats on the upgrade, especially regarding the TFT Some weeks ago I also upgraded from an Athlon XP 2400+ to an Intel E7300.
                  Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Working...
                  X