Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 fastest street-legal EV cars

Link (with pics and video's)....

1. The fastest street legal electric car is a Chevy S-10 called 'Smoke Screen' which was built and is owned by Dennis Berube, who also built the worlds fastest EV dragster 'Current Eliminator'. The S-10 has a best time of 11.083 @ 120 mph and can accelerate to 60 mph in less than 3 seconds. The s-10 runs a series wound DC motor, in this car a 13 in diameter General Electric unit, running on 400 volts and mounted where the gearbox once was.

2. The second fastest street legal EV is a 1972 Datsun 1200 that has been doing the rounds on the internet for quite a while now called White Zombie. The Datsun features two 8 inch Advanced DC series wound motors that put out 250 hp (183 kw) – about the same as the Tesla Roadster - with an impressive 772 ft/lb (1045 Nm) at the back wheels. Looks are deceptive when to comes to this old two door Datsun - it can do 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

3. The Wrightspeed X1 is an Ariel Atom fitted with an electric power train from sourced from AC Propulsion and is capable of 0-60 mph in 3.07 seconds. Where the EV drag cars mentioned above all run DC motors, the Wrightspeed uses the same AC power plant found in the Tesla Roadster. In fact, Tesla originally licensed most of their technology from AC Propulsion so they are very closely related.

4. The AC Propulsion tzero which can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and is the vehicle credited with being the first in the world to demonstrate the amazing performance possible with off-the-shelf li-ion “laptop” batteries. It would be reasonable to say the tzero (the name comes from a mathematical symbol that means time starts now) started the current move to Li-ion battery electrification of the automobile. The 165kw 3 phase AC motor and inverter in the tzero were originally fitted to a humble Honda Civic by Alan Conconi (an ex-GM engineer who designed the power train for the original EV1) in the 90s. Being front wheel drive, the Civic was unable to demonstrate the full potential of all that instant EV torque so the running gear was fitted into a rear wheel drive kit car called a Piontek Sportech that was originally designed to run a motorcycle engine.

5. The Tesla Roadster claims the title of worlds fastest production electric sports car with a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. With it's 185 kw 3 phase AC motor and 53 kwh Li-ion battery pack capable of a range of 240 miles (384 km) the Roadster is the production version of the AC propulsion tzero. Where a Ferrari Enzo has a gas guzzling 110 litre (29 gallon) that might cost in the region of USD$58 to fill (at US gas prices) or as much as $242 if you're in the EU, the Tesla Roaster has the same blistering performance, just as much turn head appeal and costs less than $5.00 to fill.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yeah, change the title. The fastest street-legal car is the Bugatti Veyron. Period.

You might be able to make an argument about Koennigsegg, but I'm not convinced that they're street-legal here.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Hmmm...meant to put it as "EV cars". My mistake and will correct.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
        Yeah, change the title. The fastest street-legal car is the Bugatti Veyron. Period.

You might be able to make an argument about Koennigsegg, but I'm not convinced that they're street-legal here.

Wasn't there also some US-made car that tops the Veyron?

Still, even if its techically street-legal...by the looks of it I wouldn't call it street-usable (same with Koennigsegg). Veyron looks much more comfortable (not only when inside, also when getting in ), probably also with much better insulation of the cabin from the engine, etc.

Comment

That Datsun is cool.
          It seems to run really well, and it uses car batteries in the boot ?
          They didn't look like Li-ion, but then again I haven't really seen a big one ever...
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
          X