Should I move to Magix Video Pro X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I move to Magix Video Pro X?

Years ago I happily used to run MSP5 on a Marvel/W98 setup. Am now retired, supposedly now with time to do video stuff, and am wondering whether to purchase full version of MSP8 on CD (can't upgrade my old v5, and want to edit on a standalone PC currently running XP).

I have a friend's recommendation to move to Magix Video pro X from the MSP 8 Vista incompatibility and future-proofing standpoints. All my video has been archived from Hi8 tape to dvd-R and the tapes recycled. Please will anyone tell me, will Magix input my archived video files directly from dvd? Also, does Magix have a proxy files mode like the MSP versions, to speed the edit process? I have always valued the opinions on this forum, and all comments on Magix or any other upgrade path will be gratefully received.

TIA
    Roger

Go for it! I believe VPX will handle your MJPEG files, if you have the right codec. If not, I know ways of getting round that problem
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, you seem familar with Magix video editing software, perhaps you can help. I've recently tried Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 and video playback and editing interactions seem very good, but its unusable because of DV audio issues.

Captures from my camcorder have periodic loud clicks, captures from my ADVC-100 the pitch is low and music & voices are garbled. Either source file plays back fine in media player or MSP6.5 so its not a problem with the source material.

I've done a few short exports to MPEG and the corrupt audio is exported I could live with it if it was only in the real-time editing.

If I put a *.wmv clip on the timeline, its audio seems fine, but DV which is 100% of my source material, all has bad audio in Magix.

I have the Magix Audio Cleaning Lab on the same computer and have been impressed with the quality of its recording and cleaning of old phono records.

I had a MJPEG clip with no audio that Magix imported and played fine. It was a 210 fps test clip from a Casio Digital Camera with various high speed (slow mo) capture modes. So I'd say the software has potential, and the on-line updates are nice, but didn't help my problem.

--wally.

Comment

In case anyone cares, the audio issue is a bug in the Magix handling of Type 1 DV files. Convert them to Type 2, and things are then fine.

Unfortunately Magix outputing back to DV produces a broken DV file, it plays in Media Player (at least where the Magix software is installed) but only get audio and black video if I import the clip into Vegas

Too bad, I actually like using the Magix software, but broken DV support makes it utterly useless to me.

Oh well, it was "free after rebate".

--wally.

Comment

Can't say I've had a problem with VPX, but that may be because, like Vegas, its captures are all Type 2. I haven't done much with type 1 files in VPX, although I'm sure that I have used some such files without difficulties. Why capture in a format that is incompatible with both Vegas and VPX (incidentally, the 'orrible process of automatic conversion in Vegas is a strong negative point, as I remember, although I stopped using it a year ago).
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I mostly use the capture utility from Vegas Video 3 which does Type 1 or direct Firewire camera transfers which are Type 1. The files in question were captured with it using my ADVC-100.

Vegas is annoying with its littering your hard drive with various audio proxy files and other small "index" type files but after this initial delay of creating these it is very responsive to edit with.

If they ever can get Kdenlive (a Linux editor) to quit crashing I think I could leave windows for good. It appears to edit any file I can play back on the system, but it not stable enough for any serious use right now.

--wally.

Comment

新*的空白文*3

这是新*的空白文*3,可以在ubbå¯è§†åŒ–ç¼ –辑器*,添*和修改文*内容。

Comment

Working...
              X