Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysler picks A123 battery for ENVI vehicles

Detroit Free Press link.....

A123 is an MIT spinoff company that makes nanoelectrode LiION's for power tools and vehicles including Daimler & GM hybrid buses.

My bet for Chrysler's first electric is the E-REV (Volt-like) Town & Country minivan - largest potential market. The chassis/body already exist in vast quantities and there's plenty of room for the batteries.

Chrysler picks A123 to supply battery packs

Chrysler LLC will buy battery packs for its first ENVI extended-range and battery-only vehicles from A123 Systems, with production to begin in 2010.

A123, based in Watertown, Mass., has a research and development center in Ann Arbor and a small pilot plant in Novi. Production of the advance nanophosphate lithium ion batteries will come from a new plant in Michigan, but the company has not yet announced the location.

“We’ve been working with them for three years,” said Lou Rhodes, Chrysler vice president for advanced vehicle engineering and president of ENVI. “We have confidence our near-term and long-terms electrification goals will be met.”

ENVI is Chrysler’s internal skunkworks for its alternative-fuel vehicles.

Chrysler expects to launch either extended-range or battery-only versions by 2010 of its Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Patriot, Chrysler Town & Country minivan, as well as two concepts, the Dodge Circuit and Chrysler 200 C sedan.

Chrysler so far has lagged behind most competitors in bringing gasoline-electric hybrid or all-electric models. But it hopes that by introducing the technology in five models at about the same time will enable it to reach sufficient production volume to reduce the technology’s cost more quickly.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 April 2009, 16:38.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X