Sandwich-zilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandwich-zilla

We did takeout tonight at a local pub called "Wheat & Rye". I got this Reuben (corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauce and sauerkraut on whole wheat). It weighed in at about 1.8 kilograms (abt 4 lbs) and was almost 10 cm (4 inches) thick.

Definitely not diet food, and I was only able to finish half of it. Guess I know what lunch is tomorrow

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Mmmm...artery AND colon clogging yumminess....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Does that thing have some bacon inside is somewhere?
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

No, but it's an affordable option at $0.50 and their portion is about 1/4 lb. This is so even on the kids "mini"sandwiches, which are of course the size of a Burger King Whopper

So is 1.5 lb of meat (their normal order is 1 lb) or a double-decker (2 lbs). Just about any topping is an option at W&R. Their normal order of fries, chili-cheese fries or onion rings (fresh made there, not frozen) is large enough to cover a normal platter 2-3 inches deep.

I love that place - a family pub with pool tables, sport TV's all the way around and terrific food in quantities enough for 2+ meals.

Best part: our order for 6 people, 4 adults and 2 hungry boys, came to just $41.00 or about $6.83 each. You could spend more at a fast food joint and get way less quality/quantity.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 April 2009, 23:11.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc,

Do you just go ahead and order enough to kill a small army, or take a less lethal approach and only order what you need?

If that really is $41 bucks to seriously overfeed 6 people, surely something is wrong with attitudes here and its no wonder obesity problems are rocketing.

T.
          FT.

Comment

More like feed us 2-3 times. Lunch today still didn't kill off that sucker.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
              If that really is $41 bucks to seriously overfeed 6 people, surely something is wrong with attitudes here and its no wonder obesity problems are rocketing.

T.
              I was thinking the same thing. What's the point with portions like that?

Comment

Originally posted by jms View Post
                I was thinking the same thing. What's the point with portions like that?
                You put the leftovers in a box and take them home.
                IF you can keep yourself from over indulging.
                Obviously a problem here given our average BMI.
                But that's not the fault of the restaurant.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Just for the record: that sandwich of mine cost $7.00 and a two-pound stacked ham & cheese costs $6.75. A basket of fries (huge) is $3.00 and the same of (enormous) onion rings is $5.00. A tray, and I do mean TRAY, of buffalo rings runs $12.50. Real buffalo meat 1/2 pound 'burgers on Pumpernickel run $5.75.

"Mini" sandwiches are served on onion rolls and run $2.50, perfect for those who don't want the big ones for leftovers. Half-pound ground round 'burgers are $3.75 to $5.50 depending on the type (Cajun, chili cheese, mushroom & swiss, double bacon cheese, "Walt" - a burger topped with ham & cheese etc.)

CJ is correct - hardly anyone finishes these off in one sitting, more like 3 sittings like leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 April 2009, 14:17.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
                    that looks rather good doc, care to share?
                    I think you could buy a whole cow for the cost of shipping that sandwich to Perth in edible shape.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      CJ is correct - hardly anyone finishes these off in one sitting, more like 3 sittings like leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
                      Amazing.....
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

What part do you find amazing?
                        Huge helpings or taking it home?
                        Or, that it's so cheap on a per serving basis?
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think Umfriend is reacting to the entire W&R concept, including that a $7 sandwich could last 3 meals.

One thing is unarguable though: W&R certainly gives you your moneys worth of delicious food (believe me - their sandwiches are great), and then some. They even serve a good selection of imported beers
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 April 2009, 19:37.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

How can they possibly make a profit?
                            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                              What part do you find amazing?
                              Huge helpings or taking it home?
                              Both of these actually. It can't be healthy and obestias is a problem, I guess this helps to explain why?

Taking it home, part of a sandwhich? I have no illusions about how fresh food is, in fact, "fresh" often means "just this far from rotten" but taking home...?

Not that it is a lot better here. What we now buy as a small beer or coke used to be the large version twenty years ago...
                              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                              X