No announcement yet.

About Athlon L2 cache....Greebe help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Athlon L2 cache....Greebe help :)

Has anyone out there tried the new L2 cache utility over at http://www.h-oda.com/ ??
    Anyways I currently have an Athlon 500 @ 750 1/3. But I would like to change my cache speed to 2/5.
    My question is...what are all those other L2 cache settings in this utility??

Greebe maybe you can help me out in explaining what all the settings mean.
    Also there are always 2 settings for each cache speed:
    1- ??? S4
    2- ??? S6
    what is the difference?
    And did they make a mistake in the program because one of the 1/3 settings says 1/3 H6 while all other settings are alway S4 or S6.

Anyways Greebe help me out guy

Thx
    Athlon 500MHz @ 750MHz 1/3
    G400 32 meg Dual-Head Vanilla @ 160.2/200.25 (400.5, 2.5/2.0/2.5)

My guess is; for the two different style CPU's out.

------------------
    "Hi, my name is Gary and I'm an OC addict"

"If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

Comment

From what i've heard, the S4 and S6 represents the type of cache you have. Use the newest WCPUID utility ver.2.7b <a href=http://www.h-oda.com>www.h-oda.com</a> and it will tell you what type of cache you have.
      ie: mine says "1/2 H6", so I can only use the S6 setting
      hi

Comment

Actually they're address registers. The bottem setting is for the Multiplier, which isn't implemented yet. There are more than simply 2 types out now because of the difference between the different cpu pcb's and L2 chips used.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe I am currently running an Athlon 500 (650 core) @ 750. I have a slightly better than standard heat sink with lots of thermal paste and a single 2"x2" fan cooling it. My MB is an Asus K7M and I always run with the case open.

My first question would be...what speed is the cache chips meant to run at?
          Because I want to change the L2 cache divider probably to 1/2. This would mean that the L2 cache would be running at 375. Is that within specs? Because since I don't have a lot of cooling I don't want to get a lot more heat by running the cache too fast.

So which do you think 1/2 (375) or 2/5 (300) should I run at?

Thx

Comment

ahhh crap...
            I just noticed that you have to manually set the L2 cache speed everytime you reboot.

is there a way to get this thing to be permanent? if not, I hope they find a way to make it permanent in the next version.

Comment

The only way to make that permanent is hardware alteration. Too bad you didn't get your CPU from Greebe, because he does that. (That's where I got mine
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi there guys!

Yes, I think H-Oda did a great achievement with this program. The man must be a genius or something like that.

Zenfe: At the present time you have to set the cache speed every time you reboot. In the utility read.me H-Oda states that the next realease will include some kind of a device driver to be load at DOS/windows startup. Oh, and "lots" of thermal paste isnĀ“t always a good thing.

Greebe: Honestly, what do you think about changing the cpu multiplier with software? (my 500 is giving me itches each time I boot it at the default speed )

Comment

when I said "lots" of thermal paste I just meant that I put more than what was there to begin with. I mean the stock cpu w/heatsink has like 2 little dabs of thermal paste.

Anyways i tested some settings and found that setting the L2 cache to 1/2 on my Athlon 500@750 is unstable. I got crashes while running 3DMark 2000 and once it even rebooted But 2/5 is running nice and smooth. I soldered the L2 cache to 1/3 when I first overclocked the cpu and now I wish I had put it to 2/5. Oh well things happen.

Ya greebe what are your thoughts on a soft L2 cache??

Comment

Working...
                  X