Vista wifi floods network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista wifi floods network?

When my wife uses her Dell Vostro 1710 (Vista) laptop on wifi it appears to be flooding the link and preventing my macbook pro wifi from working properly (i.e. v.slow, timeouts). I have also noticed the problem with my XP netbook.

Is this a general problem with Vista, and what can I do about it? Do I have to do something at the wifi router?

TIA

T.
    FT.

Disable autotuning. Run this from an Administrator command prompt (right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as adminitrator"):

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

That will fix a lot of Vista WiFi problems with routers that aren't specifically Vista compatible.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Also disable IPv6 on that interface. (Honestly, on ALL your interfaces...)
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Disabling IPv6 doesn't disable IPv6. To truly and completely disable IPv6 you have to make this change to the registry:

mydigitallife.info is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mydigitallife.info has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip6\Parameters]
        “DisabledComponents”=dword:000000ff

If you don't do this then the 6to4 adapter will still be working in the background wrecking havoc with IPv6.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks Guys, I'll give those a try.
          FT.

Comment

what makes you think her laptop is "flooding" the link?
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Because whenever she used wifi at the same time as me I would get lots of timeouts etc. When her laptop was off things instantly improved.

I disabled autotuning as Jam suggested, which has cured the problem for me, but now her wifi performance is low, esp over the vpn. I think we need something inbetween.

I guess I am in the market for a new wifi router...any suggestions? I saw the other thread about this, but they were very expensive options!
              FT.

Comment

Working...
              X