Router recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router recommendations

I've been using a Linksys WRT54GS for ~4 years without any problems.

Lately, my wife has to work online and is getting a weak signal at the opposite end of the house from my office. I replaced the internal Dell wireless adapter with a Linksys PCI adapter and that improved her signal. My IBM T-42 (work laptop) has the Intel Proset wireless card in it and can get a strong signal anywhere in or outside the house.

So, I don't have any laptops with N adapters yet but was considering the upgrade which may help her.

I've been looking at the D Link DIR-625, DIR-655 and Linksys WRT160N, WRT610N.

But lately the reviews don't look promising on most of the new routers....LOL!!!

Now, I don't do any networking/sharing just need the wireless access to get on the internet for work and the Roku for Netflix. I do like the simplified setup for the Linksys but they aren't getting good reviews lately...
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

I also have a T42 and I have WRT54GL at home (bought it previous month), parent's house, previous job and tons of installs at previous job - no problems except couple fried or reset due to storms.

I'd get Linksys by Cisco WRVS4400N, I set one up for some Café - great stuff:
    - gigabit
    - N
    - 4 SSIDs
    - QOS, port priority, priority by SSID, VPN...
    - Linux

It's a bit expensive but you're going to keep it for couple of years.

Comment

I'd second the WRVS4400N... excellent quality overall.

I have my Smoothie running a WAP4400N from the Purple Interface and really like it.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

and i'll third that. WAP4400N + RVS4000 . We often have 3 vpn sessions on G going over wireless and my two kids machines ( N) . Part of what you pay for is the increased throughput over the basic consumer models.
        Last edited by degrub; 28 March 2009, 08:08.

Comment

Holy Smokes That's a lot more Router than I require for my simple needs...

Also, the reviews aren't very good for this one,,,,

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRVS44...DateDescending
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Once you get the latest firmware, they run MUCH better.

Be careful about public reviews (especially on Amazon): many people are clueless when posting about problems, which they immediately blame on the hardware, instead of their own incompetence.

I've had very good luck with Linksys products over the years, and only very recently switched away from their consumer-grade stuff in favor of HP ProCurve Switches: not because it is inferior or has poor performance, but because their capability is lower than what I want.

My portable "Field Network box" is still 100% Linksys-based (albiet with a Smoothwall handling the Routing, just like at home).
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I just finished setting up a D link DIR-655.
              The settings are a bit more complex than any Linksys that I've owned but give plenty of options which resulted in a much better signal to my wifes laptop. She's actually getting up to 54 Mbps most of the time now....

Plus instead of being a lamer and just using MAC filtering for security I'm using WEP until
              I get the WPA2 update for all the XP systems from Microsoft.

Also need to mention that my wired desktop is faster than before with my old 10/100 adapter.
              Last edited by ALBPM; 29 March 2009, 20:00.

Comment

Teh story continues...LOL!!!

Well, my 9 year old RCA comcast modem kept getting knocked offline by the DIR-655.
                So, I went and got a Motorola SB-5101 and that solved the problem and no more rent for the old modem.
                The comcast customer support guy cracked up because the RCA modem lasted 9 years: eek:

I still wasn't getting a really good signal on the wife's laptop so found a good deal on a Linksys WRT-610N.

The WRT-610N kicks arse!!!!!
                She's getting Very Good to Excellent signal in her office. I still can't get an N signal that far away from the router but the G range is really good with this one.

Not to mention the ease of setting up the Linksys as compared to the d-link.

It takes 5 - 10 minutes to setup the Linksys vs. 30 min to an hour with the d-link.

So, TEH D-Link sits in the closet just in case the WRT-610N bites teh dust.

Comment

Never had much luck with D-Link. Poor signal strength, poor reliability, etc.

Kevin

Comment

WAP4400N here too and it's a beast.

Newegg.com has them for $139.99 (after $20 instant rebate). Link....
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I just went with WRT54GL, my T42 is only b, my flatmate, she has Z61m which is g and I'll wire two sockets to each room and one for the server. B is enough for surfing, while N doesn't beat GbLAN for file copying.

Comment

Why use WEP at all? XPSP2 and possibly earlier supports WPA.

Comment

Working...
                        X