I *NEED* one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I *NEED* one

Scientists in the U.S. are developing a laser gun that could kill millions of mosquitoes in minutes.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

That is just fantastic. Could really have used one a few years ago when we lived basically in a swamp.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

That's acually pretty damn awesome. Anyone use the current new fad for mosquittos with propane tanks making CO2?
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Last Friday in the UK was Comic Relief, a bi-annual nation-wide event sponsored by the BBC. They use humour to encourage donations in aid of projects in Africa and the UK. Incredibly they raised over £51m on the night, and the total usually rises by another £20m.

One of their focusses (in fact their main focus) was on buying "malaria nets" (mosquito nets) for villages in Africa. They cost £5 each, delivered, and the target was to get 1 million of them. They reached the target quickly and easily.

Apparently the biggest at-risk time is from 10pm after the kids have gone to bed, hence the nets. 1m children a year are dying of malaria in Africa.

Any initiative to combat those awful little insects is welcome in my book.
        FT.

Comment

Isn't there a simpler & more effective solution - undo the ban on DDT? (which was easy for us to implement, after all it happened just after we got rid of malaria?)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
            Isn't there a simpler & more effective solution - undo the ban on DDT? (which was easy for us to implement, after all it happened just after we got rid of malaria?)
            I'm not sure how that would be a good idea? It's been banned in America for decades and its still detectable by USDA tests of milk done recently. This stuff sticks around.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Lesser of two evils perhaps...

Comment

might help if people don´t use DDT for agricultural use, but rather just inside the houses (walls, inside of roof). but those buggers started to become resistant against DDT back in the 60ties anyway.

regarding the laser: typical stupid solution, much too expensive. you are talking about countries/families who can´t afford ITNs (insecticide treated nets), and someone seriously suggests surrounding a village with a few of these laser things? I can hardly believe they can get the price _that_ low. and no, for some reason I don´t think the gates foundation would sponsor that.

for domestic use in the western world: great idea. mount one overhead on the terrace, and voila...

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I love it
                  mosquitoes and flies are a big pain in Greece during summer

Comment

Working...
                  X