New TV!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV!!!

I finally broke away from the old rear projection TV mode this past month.
    I bought a 50" Pioneer Plasma PDP-5020FD.

I also replaced the old Stereo Rack with a Salamander Synergy cabinet to get rid of the dust collecting maze of wires and cables. I installed a cantilever wall mount for the TV which makes it easy to adjust and get to the inputs.
    So, I basically remodeled the entire wall the old system was on replacing the Auralex foam acoustic pannels with Auralex cloth covered acoustic pannels.

Old system:

New System: Sorry the pics are a bit dark

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
    sweet looks cool!

any reason why Plasma and not LCD?

hehe...one reason that stands out... just look at those blacks

Comment

Those Pioneer plasma's are some of, if not, the nicest tv's I have ever seen.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

What kind of speakers are those? They have a B&W looking tweeter on them, but otherwise they don't look like B&W's I've seen, unless they are really old or really new.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
          sweet looks cool!

any reason why Plasma and not LCD?

Plasma is less expensive than the high end LCD and is the more mature technology.
          I looked and did my research on the AV Forums. I really liked the new Samsung LCDs but finally decided on Plasma because of the better contrast and viewing angle. Plus the price was lower for Plasma vs good LCD.

Yup, Black is Black and Blu-Ray + 1080P Plasma is stunning....

Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung have very nice Plasma units out these days.

Originally posted by Mehen View Post
          What kind of speakers are those? They have a B&W looking tweeter on them, but otherwise they don't look like B&W's I've seen, unless they are really old or really new.
          Those are B&W Nautilus 803s and HTM1 center about 8 yrs old.
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

How much heat does it put out?.. From what I have read, plasmas generate a fair amount, versus not as much in LCD. In New Mexico, you would think extra heat is a bad thing

edit: 436Watts for this TV.. seems like a lot. My current HD rear projection 51" is less than half that.
            Last edited by Tjalfe; 27 March 2009, 10:01.
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It really doesn't seem too hot. It is noticeably warmer than an LCD.

I worry more about the altitude here than the heat (~5900 ft) but they seemed to have fixed the issues that the early plasma panels had a higher altitudes.

Comment

I never realized Albuquerque was up that high. I always thought of new mexico as flat desert . I suppose in part thanks to bugs bunny.

I am still looking around for a new tv for the bedroom in the next year, assuming we can find the cash for it. Right now we have an old 27" CRT in the end of the bedroom, with us watching it from ~22 feet away. Makes for a pretty small picture

I just looked up the power consumption of some bigger plasmas.. the 103" is 1550Watts
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
                  I never realized Albuquerque was up that high. I always thought of new mexico as flat desert . I suppose in part thanks to bugs bunny.

I am still looking around for a new tv for the bedroom in the next year, assuming we can find the cash for it. Right now we have an old 27" CRT in the end of the bedroom, with us watching it from ~22 feet away. Makes for a pretty small picture

I just looked up the power consumption of some bigger plasmas.. the 103" is 1550Watts
                  Albuquerque has one of the highest elevations of any major city in the United States, though the effects of this are greatly tempered by its southwesterly continental position. The elevation of the city ranges from 4,900 feet (1,490 m) above sea level near the Rio Grande (in the Valley) to over 6,700 feet (1,950 m) in the foothill areas of Sandia Heights and Glenwood Hills. At the airport, the elevation is 5,352 feet (1,631 m) above sea level.

Comment

Ah 8 years, basically just before I started looking at hifi stuff

Nice speakers!

Comment

Nice speakers, I got an 804S/805S/HTM3S set up just over a year ago. Still to get the sub (but I think my neighbours are probably glad), and I'm using an Onkyo receiver. What do you have driving them?

I went to a sound demo, tried a few random speakers I liked from magazine/internet reading, but the 804S blew away the B&W 683 etc. However, it was on Classe equipment.

Now I have an HTPC with the Onkyo, but looking to get better kit now. Any suggestions?

I'm also very tempted with the Pioneer, but I think I'll get an amp or disc player first.

--

Edit: Mehen, the 800 series: http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/disp...nfid=818&sc=ht
                      Meet Jasmine.
                      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Very nice new setup!

My old B&W CDM 9NT's are in my office now. Too many small kids running around to keep them in an open space. Don't want something that weighs twice as much as my kids to tumble down on them.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It was the front cover on ALBPM's speakers that threw me off, none of the new ones have a cover that goes right down to the floor.

Pace: the Pioneer Elite lineup is really nice. Also check out Marantz.

Also check out this one from Cambridge Audio: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summar...MI+AV+Receiver

Comment

I'm still using my old Dennon 3300 Reciever and a Rotel 5 channel power amp.

One of these days I need to update my reciever because of the outdated connections so I don't run any of the video through the reciever just audio and it still sounds great.

Comment

Nice TV isn't it Paul? I bought the 141 (60" Elite Signature Monitor) last October and I still marvel at this display. I'm going to buy a nice meter and calibration software and tweak it to the max. I think I've got enough hours on it now.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X