Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, please!

Here's a little something OCZ Technology cooked up just for CeBIT: a PCIe enclosure that'll contain 1TB worth of SSD storage with maximum read rates of up to 600MB/sec and maximum write speeds of up to 500MB/sec. Oh, and the sustained write speeds are right around 400MB/sec. Essentially, this device will contain four 256GB MLC-based OCZ SSDs along with 256MB of ECC DDR2 RAM; when slapped in one's desktop, they can choose to set it up as the boot disk or a slave. OCZ is also hoping to offer a 4TB edition by the end of the year, which is totally plausible given that 1TB SSDs are already a reality. The on-hand demo was just a mockup shell, but the finalized version shouldn't look much different than what's pictured in the gallery below. As for pricing and availability? It should hit the US of A in around six weeks for somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000. It's high-end, y'all.

Basically four 250 GB SSDs (1 TB total) and a 256 MB cached RAID controller embedded in a shell that plugs into a PCIe slot. But with 600 MB/s reads, 500 MB/s writes, and 400 MB/s sustained writes.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I used to have one of these for my old XT, it was called an "Above Board" (wakka wakka!) and it had like 16MB on it.

New sizes, old idea.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I fail to see the benefit in putting it all together in one box : expansion slots are few as it is now, with video cards taking up double slots.

Why not keep it apart: controller + 4 disks? Same performance, maybe more cable clutter, but less occupied PCIe slots... Heck, even many motherboards now have onboard raid, no need to add a seperate controller card... (ok, they don't always get full performance, but you get the idea).
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Plus isn't there a new version of SATA coming, with comparable transfers possible? (and lower price...)

Besides, as I pointed out recently to one buddy who is in love with RAID 0...do we really need this kind of boost in performance in desktop machines? OS & pro apps are loaded at the beginning of the work, and with a lot of RAM...that's it. Ordinary HDDs seem good enough even for HD video/etc.

OTOH, from tests, it seems that game loading times, another bottleneck area, don't gain that much...

I guess, generally, we need changes in software to have noticeable gain in this area, and that won't be made for such ultraniche products.

Comment

Yes, I know it's an old idea, but this is will be the first high-end consumer grade device released by a major PC peripheral player. That I know of at least.

@VJ, int RAID controller come with 256 MB RAM for caching, and you have to string cables around, and you have to know enough about RAID to setup the drive appropriately. Which is fine for us technical people, but for everyone else it's easier to just buy a packaged solution.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
            Plus isn't there a new version of SATA coming, with comparable transfers possible? (and lower price...)
            the new SATA 3 is 6Gb/sec, PCIe has that beat easily. Also, no single drive can do the 400MB/sec sustained this card can do. Maybe future solid state drives, but none now. They need to be in RAID to do that.
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
            X