help recover deleted volume :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help recover deleted volume :(

So today I was going too fast in disk management and managed to delete the wrong volume. it is a seagate 1.5TB drive, with a NTFS partition from windows XP, drive was dynamic, if I remember right. I did do a full backup about 2 weeks ago, but loosing 2 weeks worth of stuff still sucks.

I did a quick googling and found this

perfect, I think, it is the exact problem, so I recreate a volume of the same size ( the whole disk), without formatting it, then proceed to run dskprobe, as perscribed. This is where the process grinds to a halt. I select the right physical disk, enable writing, set it active, then read the sectors. If I select the volume end button, I get "Can't access backup bootsector from a logical device handle, please use a physical device handle". I did pick a physical device .
    Also the total sectors shows as a negative number :"-753481239798607675" which indicates to me that the program can't properly access this large a drive. Any insight in how to make this work, or perhaps suggest an alternative way of recovering the volume?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Badcopy pro used to work for me in this case, setting the file extensions of the file types you want to recover.
    A 1Gb compactFlash card tooka week to scan over a usb interface, I wouldn't like to fathom how long it would take for 1.5Tb......

Its basically a bitscanner that looks for the start and end of files....and then just takes whats in between...not sure if its very effective on a fragmented drive....can't see how it would know where the rest of the file is unless the "jump" indicators show where the rest of the file is....

Good luck anyway....
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

OT: No clue about FATxx or NTFS but in the AFS each block had pointers to the next and previous block.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

seeing how microsoft writes that there is a backup of the boot sector at the end of the drive, it would suck to have to scan the drive at the bit level.

Comment

would ZAR work.
          If it looks like the trial works I can 'loan' you a copy.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Thanks
            I will take a look tonight... ZAR looks like it may work, but still doing way more work than it really has to, as it really should just need to copy the bootsector from the rear of the drive to the front

Comment

2hrs for 100Gb is bloody fast.
              They probably didn't bench it on a quad with 4gb of ram, you may be quite faster....
              8Mb cache also no?
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
              X