ASUS P3C2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P3C2000

I have had an eye on this board since it was announced. But after reading this review, This board seem to be nothing but trouble. What do you think?
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/p3c2000/default.asp

------------------
    PIII-450@600, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

I read that article this morning. It is about what I expected.

The i820 is not ready to be a mainstream product. Rambust is a huge flop, and the MTH to SDRAM workaround is a kludge with a huge performance hit.

One of my good buddies wanted to get a cu-mine system a few month ago. I told him to wait a few months to make sure that they are stable. The company that he bought his system from gave him a free "upgrade" from a good solid Abit 440BX mobo to an Intel Cape Cod i820 mobo because the Abit bios support for the cu-mine was not there yet. He has nothing but huge headaches from it. All the time he is getting BSODs and is having to reinstall all kinds of things. It is extremely unreliable.

He would have had much better luck and much better performance if he went with an Athlon system. My Athlon system blows the doors off of his cumine, and mine is reliable where the i820 is extremely unstable. Do yourself a favor and avoid everything i820 based. They suck.

Comment

Another review of it here.
      http://www.ixbt-labs.com/mainboard/asus-p3c2000.shtml

Not a very impressive board.

[This message has been edited by RoGuE (edited 18 January 2000).]

Comment

I tried an Intel CC820 to replace my BH6 back when they first came out in late Nov. The 820's demand very fast pc100 ram and I only had one 128mb stick that would work without crashing. Intel kept saying buy faster ram from the ones they recommend on their site. When I got the thing working performance was poor so I returned it (paid re-stocking fee) and picked up the ASUS P3B-F. It has been the most problem free MB I have ever owned. I will never touch or recommend an Intel 820.

Comment

The upcoming Solano (815) looks promisng. Native SDRAM and AGP 4x support. A 133 MHz front side bus, but, unfortunately, I think it's coming out with an on-board display adapter. It will have an AGP slot, but...

I hope Intel provides an option.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yikes!

Yet another bad review:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/r_asus_p3c2k

A stinky one this way comes!

I was considering this board as a replacement for my trusty P2B (rev. 1.02), but I'll pass on this one.

John

------------------

PIII450 => 504 MHz, Asus P2B, G400MAX, PowerDesk 5.41, Aureal SQ 2500 (Vortex2), Klipsch Promedia V2.400 speakers, DirectX 7.0A, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W and Fireport40 Dual UW SCSI controllers, Quantum Atlas 10K and WD Enterprise HDs, Plextor UtraPlex Wide, Plexwriter 8/20 CDR, the last ISA modem, etc.

Comment

I agree with thundrchez, Athlon is Very fast! But if you have a BX board, see if the bios will flash and get a 100mhz Cu. I have both Athlon and Cu 700's. Athlon is quicker, but I had to work out several issues with it in the beginning. It is very stable now though. BX 700Cu isn't shabby at all either, and a heck of alot more stable than an 820. I had a P3C2000 for four days. I gave it away, and put back my P3B-F.

Theres not really a great or fabulous selection right now. It seems that all the new mainboards have some sort of glitches. And its to be expected, but trusty old BX or an AMD Athlon is probably the best way to go.

BTW... www.tennmax.com sells some very nice BX chipset coolers if you want to try and clock it to 133.

Comment

Another review of an Asus P3C board (the PC3E):

http://www.gamespot.com/hardware/sys.../asusp3ce.html

Gives it a 4.5 out 5 stars. Not very detailed. Some interesting benchmarks.

John

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 22 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                X